/ 29 /

Survival of the Fittest

I walk out of my room and see Carl shooting his water gun at Liam.

"Jackass. What the hell are you doing with a water gun in the house?" I pick Liam up and let him rest on my hip.

"Because I don't have a paintball gun." He says.

"Actually, that uh, kinda makes sense." I then snatch the gun out of Carl's hands and squirt some of it on him.

"I'm gonna need a paintball gun when we move to Michigan." Carl follows me downstairs.

"We're not going to Michigan." I tell him as I set Liam down in his chair.

"We're not?" Carl questions.

"Fiona said we were." Debbie says.

"That's when Jimmy was here. You seen him around lately?" I sigh.

"Did Fiona and Jimmy break up?" Debbie asks.

"I don't know. Fiona barks at me anytime I bring it up." I pour myself a cup of coffee.

Fiona and Lip then walk downstairs.

"Is that your new look for work?" I joke as Fiona walks around in her skirt and bra.

"Ha ha. Very funny." She flips me off.

"Big day today, Lip." Fiona then says.

"Yeah, whatever." Lip sits down beside me.

"No, it's not a whatever. The first Gallagher kid getting a diploma? That's a big deal." Fiona says.

"Where did you buy it from?" Carl jokes, earning a high-five from me.

"He's getting it fair and square, setting a good example. Pay attention." Fiona swats the back of both our heads before walking out.

"Only follow Lip's example if you want to be an annoying asshole." I smile.

"Fuck off." He laughs.

Ian then walks downstairs, wearing his army uniform. "Morning."

"Wow, Ian, looking sharp." Debbie says.

"Thanks." He smiles.

"You got ROTC on the last day before Christmas break?" I ask him.

"Yeah, they're having some sort of winter ceremony." He tells me. "Later."

"No more talk of Michigan." I say to Debbie and Carl before also leaving.

---

"Hey, Kate, can I get a shot?" I walk into the Alibi and sit down.

"And enable your truancy?" She questions. "This place is pathetic enough."

Going to school meant seeing Mandy, which is the last thing I want to do after the wedding.

"Look, I'll pay you extra. Plus, we both know Kevin serves me anyways." I smile.

"Alright, fine." Kate takes the cash and walks away.