➪TWELVE

"I think I have enough for this evening

"I think I have enough for this evening. But next I'd like to get The Notebook if you have that in store?" It's not rare for old people to come into the bookstore, specifically old women, and they are all the same.

I smile at the woman in front of me. Short woman, beautiful white and curly hair. I remember a time where she used to come with a man who I assumed was her husband, but he doesn't come anymore. I'm afraid he's passed.

"We do not but I'll ask Paul and see what he can do" I put the woman's book into a bag.

She nodded. "Paul is very sweet" she takes the bag and smiles even harder at me, a smile only a grandmother could give.

But her statement is false. At least half of the time. Paul is an ass to the ones that don't submit to him, meaning nearly everyone that works for him. He's tried to hit on all of women workers here.

She turns to leave and I watch after her, raising an eyebrow as the door pulls open for her. She smiles at the person before carefully walking out. When the person comes to view I learn that it is Hudson. I walk from around the counter as he walks deeper into the bookstore.

"Afternoon Miss Cousy" he smiles to me, holding a black bag in his hand. It says Rianchi on the side.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I try my best not to sound rude but this puzzles me. Hudson has never entered the bookstore. I've never seen him walk more than twenty feet from his car. So him coming inside actually confuses me.

"Just dropping this off to you. It's the newest." He hands me the bag with a neutral expression on his face. I take the bag and look inside to see a rectangular box. Nicco has completely gotten me a upgrade. Better than what I expected, better than what I would have asked for. And I am completely grateful. I needed more than a upgrade, but I would never have the balls to ask for it.

"It's already set up for you, new number, in which Mr. Rianchi already has it saved in. He hopes you enjoy it" I open the box and take the phone that is nearly glass.

I smile as I see that he's gotten me a case for my phone. It's grey. He's so thoughtful. But it's also smart. My old phone had a few cracks in it. Maybe he's trying to be funny? Cheeky man. And a screen protector? Yes, he's fucking with me.

"Thank you for bringing this here Hudson." I tap the screen and it doesn't have a lock. I look through the contacts and of course he's the only one. Nicco.

"Any time. And I may also add that I am scheduled to pick you up after your shift? It ends at six pm, correct?" He asks and I nod.

"Where is Nicco? Do you know? Or is he still at his restaurant? He told me he'd be a bit busy" Hudson hesitates for a moment, I can see it in his eyes. But he remains calm as if the hesitation never happened.

"Mr. Rianchi had business to take care of".

Okay. Whatever that means.

"Well then. I shall be back in a few hours" he gives me an assuring smile before turning around and leaving. I shake my head at him as I turn around and sit in one of the free chairs. I click on Nicco's name to send him a quick text.