01 - Escape

"What's your name, little wolf?" The tall man asked with a voice calm and warm

"What's your name, little wolf?" The tall man asked with a voice calm and warm. He was taller than my dad and I was surprised that such a man even existed.

"Kathrine Evans," I answered quietly and quickly added a "Sir!" before I lowered my eyes.

„Ah, I see. What a beautiful name you have," he said, more to himself than to me. "Beautiful you are, that's true" he continued talking to himself.

"Thank you, I guess, " I shyly answered and looked back above my shoulder and saw my parents standing at the bottom of the stairs. I wasn't really comfortable standing at the podium with that huge man. My dad had a petrified look on his face and my mom looked kind of nervous too.

"How old are you, little lady?" The guy asked and I started counting in my head.

"Twelve! " I said quickly. Proud of myself for remembering that I just had my birthday.

"So, you are almost a grown-up" he smirked at me while he knelt beside me.

"Yes! You are right, Mister! Sir! " I blurted out with much pride while I lifted my chin a little. Damn right, I was almost grown-up. Not only my stupid brother Michael, who wouldn't just shut up about the fact that he could now use the mind link.

The strange mister was brushing a loose strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled while nodding to himself. As I heard a strange sound, I tilted my head to look at my parents again.

It sounded a lot like a muffled sob. But why would mother sob right now? Before I had a chance to look her in the eyes, she is shushed by my father who was still standing like a statue. "Quiet, Love!" he whispered between gritted teeth.

I met the gaze of the huge man and took a few steps back. The nice man seemed far away like he had never existed. His eyes were furious and staring daggers into my mother. "You may leave now! " He bellowed through the hall. I flinched and hurried back downstairs where I was met with an embracing hug from my mom who seemed to not want to let go of me anymore.

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. At home, I was sent to my room as if I had done something bad but I couldn't wrap my head around it. I heard my mom scream at my dad, crying and begging him. I still didn't know what was wrong though. I tried to listen to what they were saying but it didn't make sense to me too.

"You can't let that happen!" Mom cried out loud throwing what sounded to be a plate against the wall.

„What choice do I have?" I could hear that dad was angry "Do you think I like the thought? That I want it to happen?" His voice nearly broke at the end and I frowned.

The next thing I know is that my mom rushed into my room and urged me to pack some clothes and everything that fits into the bag she had just thrown on my bed. To be honest, I was confused and a little scared of her, but I did as I was told. Not that she had ever hit me, she was always caring and loving. But it was simply too much to take in for one day. I knew little of what was to come...