12 - Apologies

There is a lot of hushed conversations between my parents as we get home

There is a lot of hushed conversations between my parents as we get home. They send you to my room, refusing to answer any of my questions. What the fuck had just happened?

I still feel nauseous when I think of him, Richard, the way he looked at me, disgusting. I've never felt more... exposed in my life. I still can't possibly fathom what Ann did back there, how she did it, and foremost why. Her father must be fuming.

I'm called for dinner, which we eat in silence, my parents repeatedly glaring over their plates at each other and occasionally at me. Thank the Goddess that Michael is away for some special training camp.

The second I finish helping Mom with the dishes, a faint knock scare-jumps my parents, but they are quick to relax after a familiar, blond head peeks inside.

Dad walks over to her, hesitant steps, hovering about her for seconds before wrapping his giant arms around Ann's slim figure as if to crush her. She just stands there, too perplexed to even move a muscle, and endures the hug.

I'm eyeing the setting from the kitchen, wrinkling my forehead skeptical, something does not seem right.

"Oh, get off of her George, can't you see she is uncomfortable?"

"Nah, it's ok, really" the sound of her voice is muffled by my father's shirt pressed in her face, as she pats his back awkwardly.

Mom is eager to bid her in, shooing my Dad away from Ann.

She cups Ann's face with both hands, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead. "I don't even know how to thank you, you saved her from that... that man." She spits the last word with such revulsion, it says more than any swearword could have.

Ann's answer is a whisper, low and sheepish "You're welcome," and now I know what makes this whole scenery bizarre. It's not that my Dad just hugged the daughter of his boss for the first time or that the princess is even here. It's her! She is insecure, tentative and I've never seen her like this. "But I didn't do much, I'm just glad I could help, you know?"

"Don't you dare talk down on what you did, Child! You did everything!", scolds my mother, yet her tone is caring and warm.

"Well... I promised you, didn't I? I mean, I said I would look out for her..." meekly she shrugs her shoulders.

"Dear, it's been years, and you were fourteen! I would have never asked such a thing from you!"

"But you should, that's why I promised in the first place," Ann lets out a nervous chuckle, still seeming off to me. "I would like-," her eyes sway at me, "Could we talk for a minute, alone?" Her smile is apologizing and captivating alike.

"We can go upstairs if you like?" I hear myself say, already setting my path to the staircase.

"No need, you can use the kitchen if you like, your mother and I wanted to go for a walk anyways. Some fresh air will do us good." He wraps his arm around my mother and with a quick smile they say goodbye.