49 - Love Me Harder

A/N: I think someone left the shower on because it seems a bit steamy and hot here.
If you are not into that, I'd advise you to skip this chapter.

The ballroom erupted in cheers following the announcement

The ballroom erupted in cheers following the announcement. Ann had taken it upon herself to give the good news. She had welcomed Frieda into the family and jokingly thanked her in advance for taking Charlie off her hands; she congratulated Frieda's parents - Thorben and Famke von Sachsen‑Anhalt, for bearing such an excellent and worthy offspring.

When I found Sonja, she gave me a meaningful glance and looked me up and down before she made a sneaky comment about my new lipstick. With a few hushed words, I fill her in, leaving out a few intimate details. Even though Ann wanted to kill her baby brother for a limited amount of time, they promised to keep quiet about everything.

Toasts and salutes were given, and Charlie gladly presented his newfound love to everyone, chest swelling with pride. It's nice to see him happy, especially after he opened up to me earlier today. He deserves a good mate, and I deserve not to worry about getting hit on by my mate's sister ever again.

──────●◎●──────

About an hour ago, I came home with my parents, lightly chatting about the evening's events, complaining about how awful heels are, and told them about earlier too. Well, I put them in the picture as much as they needed to be, avoiding the part where I got all hot and bothered, of course.

Mom kindly reminded me that I need to tell Michael, though; for some reason, my mood instantly dropped. The thought alone is dreadful. He hasn't felt quite like the protective big brother I'm used to, and he's been away from home for most of the last year too. And as much as I hated the secret training sessions with him, I enjoyed the time we got to spend together. But he's been growing into someone I don't think I know anymore, so sharing this rather intimate and potentially troubling thing with him feels... wrong.

And what do you do when you have to do something you don't wanna do? Exactly, get into your favorite shorts and shirt, flop down on your bed and think about all the other things you could do instead and maybe even about the things you should also do.

Like... talk to your girlfriend.

I heard her come home over thirty minutes ago, and she still hasn't made an appearance in my room. Tapping my feet together as I sigh, I try to build up the courage to go downstairs.

Getting to the living room is easy; staring at her resting figure on the couch is even easier, which might be my problem. A few curses run through my mind as my eyes roam her; with her head slightly tilted to the side, eyes closed, and her folded arm before her chest, she looks like she'd fallen asleep working or maybe even waiting. But that's not what makes all my nerves jump in excitement. It's that damn outfit.

The only thing missing is her tiara, the blazer neatly folded and put on one of the armrests. I can barely look without heat flashing my face, but my eyes still linger on her for too long; my heart thrums in my ears like a drum calling for war from just a brief glimpse alone. I've missed her so much, and a pang of anger comes crashing down on me, but this time I'm not sure if it's directed at her or me because I could have held her in the last days if I hadn't been so content on being stubborn.