04 - The Talk

The day seems like it wants to last forever

The day seems like it wants to last forever. Usually, I like attending classes, most of them anyway; but to be fair, everyone hates math. But today was kind of buggy, the exam is harder than I imagined, and I am angry at myself for not studying more. Stupid lazy me or more like stupid distracted me. My mind wanders off, to a long-lost past.

Back in Iceland, everything seemed so easy and small. Of course, war and other things were going on in the political department, but it was all kind of limited, like just three Packs on the whole Island. Here, in the US... it's tremendous how vast but still connected all packs are.

King Aiden is one impressive royal to talk about. No one dares to go against him, sure the alphas like to bicker and fight over all kinds of things and some of them are as stupid as which pack is named first in some ceremonial speech, but they rely on their king. And from what Ann tells me, her father is a fair but stern ruler, though I'm not sure how objective she can be.

I've never imagined how much work leading packs is. Like economy and infrastructure and maintenance of streets and official buildings. And then there is the whole human situation. Humans aren't supposed to know we exist, but some do because it's impossible to hide an entire race worldwide.

So, there are people who know, some high-ranking law enforcement members or important businessmen in certain areas. And the human mates know as well, but that is kind of obvious, how couldn't they.

It's against the law to drag a human against their will to a pack or even mating without consent, so they need to be told beforehand. If it goes bad, well... even if they'd talk about us, they are just labeled crazy and set on some nice colorful medication.

Sad to say that such laws are needed to begin with. For most of them, it is a real shocker, learning about us and being pulled out of their lives to be part of our community. But most of them decide to join their mates. The bond is strong in humans too, even if they don't understand it as well as we do.

As the last bell of the day rings, I gather my belongings, stuffing them absently in my bag while glaring at the clock; did I really miss the entire lesson?

Strolling the streets in the Triangle, heading for that little nice café next to the bus stop. The Triangle is basically a combined city of three-pack territories crossing. There is a treaty that ensures safe passage through consolidated areas with combined resources as well. The hospital is here, schools, college, university, and many shops.

With my double foamed mocca latte in hand, I hop on the bus, dreading the assignments I am given today. But luckily, it is Friday so I have the whole weekend to procrastinate on it.

Dad is pacing on the porch as I get home, clinging to a bottle of beer. His face in a deep frown and far away eyes, which make me halter my steps.

First, Dad is seldom home that early, and second, he kind of acts nervous. I don't know him like this, and it makes him look older. He is in his early 40s, his hair is nearly grey by now, neatly chopped short, and so is his beard. He has broad shoulders and carries himself with confidence, demanding the respect he deserves.