23 - Fight or Flight

My face is blazing, and I glue my eyes to the ground as I make my way back to the table

My face is blazing, and I glue my eyes to the ground as I make my way back to the table. I feel their eyes on me, when I plop down, still avoiding eye contact with the two of them.

"Young love..." Tina says with a sigh.

"Were we ever this young?" Betty chuckles, earning herself a little smack on the upper arm from Tina, who was, up until now, immersed in a dream, body propped on her elbows and a never-ending warm smile.

I slide down furth down in the cushions of the sitting booth, awfully aware of what just happened. I can't believe we did that. That... I did that. I nervously pick at the skin of my thumb., taking in a deep breath. Even thinking about it makes me all hot and sitting here in silence, dwelling on it will certainly not help with that.

"We're just friends." I blurt out as I feel myself tensing with all the different and confusing thoughts in my head. Is this compassion in their knowing eyes or just pity? Am I embarrassed for what I did or ashamed of who I did it with? Fighting the urge to cover my face and hide away, I swallow the groan I'd like to release.

"You sure about that, Honey?" Tina asks with so much genuine care I can't help but look up at her.

"Yeah, I mean... I guess," stammering helplessly, scrambling for words as I continue to pick on my thumb, "I think at least. I- Why do you ask?"

"Well, I've had my fair share of friends and none of them ever looked at me like that."

Bosom Betty stirs a bit in her seat, shifting her weight into a more comfortable position. I don't even know how they both can sit in those dresses. "I would kill for someone to look at me like that, Sweety" She puts the almost empty glass to her lips, letting the strong liquor run over her tongue.

"We have to go." I didn't even notice her return to the table.

"Already?" I turn my head with a playful pout, but my face contorts when I see the urgency in her eyes.

"Now." She grabs my wrist and pulls me out of my seat with a firm motion, but not rough enough to cause me pain.

"What happened?" I ask, my voice sounds choked in my ears as I try to quell the fear rising inside me.

"Someone's here," her eyes dart quickly around the room, reminding me of a caged animal again. I've seen her like this before "Six or seven, maybe more, I can't tell for sure."

Tina watches our brief conversation with an increasingly concerned look in her eyes. "What are you talking about, kid?" But Ann waves it off and just throws some money on the table.

"Go home now, get a cab, and take a good shower when you get there. If anyone asks you about us, tell them what they want to know. Please don't try to be brave, there's no need for you to get hurt."

"Get hurt?" Tina's voice rings a little higher than before.

We slip out a back door, the night air unfortunately too warm to be a welcome change from the stuffy air in the bar and I long for the quiet snow-covered forests at home.