07 - Sleeping Beauty

I nearly stumble over my feet, taking two or three stairs at a time rushing for the wooden door at the end of the first floor

I nearly stumble over my feet, taking two or three stairs at a time rushing for the wooden door at the end of the first floor. It's around 9 pm. and it has been a long day but that all doesn't matter because I'm going to spend some quality time with Kate, recharging the worn-out battery I'd like to call 'body'. Just a few hours of peace, I'm not asking for anything more. Just a movie, or two, sitting there on her bed, calming my senses, relaxing, and being myself for a few brief moments.

"Kate," I say loud enough for her to hear me from the hallway, "I hope you are decent because I'm coming in either way" I laugh, pushing the door open but instead of being welcomed with the most alluring smell I'm hit with some sticky sweet scent, reminding me of cheap peach jam.

"You...?", I manage to stammer, "you are here. Again." I deadpan not being able to conceal how unpleasantly surprised I am, now knowing where this smell originated from.

Sonja. Gorgeous, beautiful, lovely Sonja is sitting on the bed.

With Kate.

Much too close.

Knees touching.

Everything about this view is unsettling and I need to fake a cough to mask the growl that unintentionally rose in my throat.

"Qui, I am," she says with an expression as innocent as an angel "Kate invited me during lunch." Showing off her perfect white teeth with a wide smile.

"She doesn't know anyone yet, so I thought it would be nice", Kate shrugs.

"So, you had lunch together too?" I hear myself asking. Well, that's me not being awkward at all.

"Yes, can you believe how much cake she can fit inside that tiny body of hers?" Sonja says, poking Kate in the belly, making me want to scream.

"Psst! I told you not to tell," she claps Sonjas hand away, huffing "You traitor." Of course, she had cake. Its Friday and that means it's Cake-Day at the cafeteria which basically translates to we need to get rid of the pastries before they go bad Day.

Holding up the bag of chips I brought with me, I chuckle, "Cake for lunch? So, I assume you won't need that then?"

"Oh, pretty please!" Kate purrs, pushing her bottom lip forward, making big puppy eyes.

"Will you be a good wolf tomorrow and eat something nutritious for a change?" I can't help but grin. I know she will probably promise me everything for some snacks now, but I don't mind, as long as she keeps up on the promise.

"You two know, that you are kinda strange, don't you?" The redhead remarks, eyeing us suspiciously.

Flustering, Kate tries to hide her blush, playing mockingly shocked: "How dare you talk to the Princess like that?"

Sometimes I wonder if she knows that she is an open book to read for most people, displaying every feeling on her face. I do find it adorable but I fear that this trait will get her in trouble in the future.