11 - Dinner

After Nora calmed down, I sneak back into my part of the palace almost unnoticed

After Nora calmed down, I sneak back into my part of the palace almost unnoticed. The few souls I encounter are quick to avoid me, some even turn their steps in the opposite direction and all I reek is fear.

"The Queen awaits you in the great dining room in fifteen minutes, your Highness." Says the maid with a trembling voice, bowing so deep I fear she may hurt her head and I can see that the poor girl is in a rush to leave my room, not daring to give a single look.

I groaned inwardly, the last thing I want for them is to be afraid of me. The whispers behind my back were always hard to stomach but I've learned to live with them but now knowing I gave them a reason to talk... that stings a bit.

Usually, the dining room downstairs is reserved for formal matters, and guests are normally announced a few days ahead, so I wonder what the occasion might be. Well, it's not going to be Richard, that's for sure, after the exit he made.

As the last of my family to arrive at the dining room, I'm pleasantly surprised that the guest, whoever it may be, hasn't arrived yet. Quietly I make my way to my seat, nodding to my parents, bluntly ignoring my jerk of a brother.

As you might expect, it is Charlie who breaks the agonizing silence, cutting through the tension with his carelessness "Are we going to talk about Ann's creepy Jedi-Powers, or are we just gonna pretend it didn't happen?"

I stiffen, fork hanging in the air, a small piece of steak waiting to be eaten. I glare cautiously to the King, waiting for something to happen but it's Mother who speaks next.

"It's called Alpha-Command and you know that.", she says emphatically.

I try to resume my dinner, quiet, staying out of the conversation. With a little too much focus on my vegetables.

"I know Mom," he rolls his eyes, "but for real, she is not supposed to do something like this, is she?"

"And who are you to tell what I am supposed to do?" I put the cutlery aside, placing my palms on the table, maybe looking a little smug the way I smirk at him. He's always getting on my nerves. "And why is it, that whenever I trip, you are there to rub it in my face or go whining to Mother and Father?"

"Oh, good question. Let me think about that for a second", he says, allegedly tapping his chin to mimic the notion. "It's maybe because you are so full of yourself?"

"I-? How about you'd focus less on me and start actually doing something yourself? I mean anything aside from parties, spending money, trashing cars, and being a sore loser on the training ground." I knew the last one would bug him the most.

"Well, we can't be all like you, Little Miss Perfect. God Ann, you are always so damn uptight." Charlie remarks.

"I guess you are confusing the words now. What you mean is called accepting responsibilities and acting on them."