53 - What would you do?

There isn't much I hate more than people disturbing my sleep

There isn't much I hate more than people disturbing my sleep. It's one of the many reasons I get up early. I like my mornings busy and quiet.

And still... there is a knock and then... another.

I entangle my limbs from Kate, making her groan in protest. She seems unfazed by the fact that someone is at the door, and she is half-naked in the apparent heir's bed.

My feet hit the ground before my eyes could find the clock. Red letters illuminate the nightstand on the left side of my bed, making Kate's brown hair shine while she skilfully tries to disappear between my sheets.

She really isn't a morning person.

"Yes?" I ask, my voice clouded with sleep, hoarse and croaky.

Maya's face is tentative, but her smile seems genuine. "Excuse my early intrusion, your Highness, but-"

I chuckle, "Early? It's barely five." All the hours I've slept can be counted on one hand easily.

"I'm sorry, but I need to know if Kat-; if Princess K-; Your...," she sighs in defeat, and I let out a tired laugh.

"I'm pretty sure she would prefer if you continued to call her Kate." I lean closer, bringing a hand to my mouth, and whisper, "Just don't call her princess."

She nods as if I just told her a highly protected national secret. "Understood."

I yawn, "What was it you wanted to ask?"

"Oh, right." I have to admit, the blush on her face is cute, or it would be. If I weren't wildly in love with the little lazy bum in my bed, currently pretending to be asleep. "Is... Kate going to attend the royal breakfast?"

Refusing to contemplate the options alone, I turn to look over my shoulder. "Babe, do you want to stay for breakfast or go home?"

The sheets shuffle as she sits up, stretching her limps before cautiously tugging the blanket under her arms and around her body. She's always been a bit shy, and with her ruffled hair and unfocused eyes, it's probably the most adoring thing I've ever seen.

"When?" she asks, her voice as croaked as mine.

I glare at the clock again. "Breakfast is in about two and a half hours, and leaving would be...." My eyes bore into Maya.

"Now."

"Oh, now?" The gasp leaves Kate's mouth, paired with a suppressed frantic giggle. "No way, I rather take my chances." She falls back onto the bed, lets out a distressed sigh, and pulls the covers over her head again; some piqued muttering coming from her hideout.

"I guess... that's settled then," I chuckle at the adorable sight.

Maya's expression is still sincere, though when I turn back, her eyes are boring this time, and I don't have a hard time deciphering what message lies behind them.