54 - All around the world

A/N: I am so sorry I've been MIA. Life is tough right now, and I hope you can all understand that, sadly, sometimes chores, uni, and work have to come first.

"What?" Her eyes grow wide for the fifth time

I chuckle, "Do you want me to say it again?"

"Not funny," Kate huffs and smacks my arm. "That's not... that's..."

"Not what?" I reach out for her, but she evades my touch, and my smile dips a little.

She folds her arms, and the crease on her forehead keeps growing. "You. That's not you."

"You sound like a character from the books you always read," I give her a playful nudge on the elbow. She gets up from Frank and starts pacing my room, unnerved.

"I don't think she appreciates the funny approach," Nora says dryly.

"Hey," I say as gently as I can, motioning her to come back to me, "It's not a big deal; I don't mind staying."

She shakes her head at my invitation and gets over to the balcony, where she folds her arms and stares outside into the surprisingly bright midday sun.

With a sigh, I get up and join her and the beautiful view. "I can't just leave you here. What if something happens?"

Now, Kate is the one to sigh. "Do you know what will happen if you stay here? Nothing. It will be the same lovely nothing life has been in the past few weeks, plus I'll be busy with my internship. You will bore yourself to death and regret not going."

"With you, life has never been boring."

She laughs, "Now, who sounds like a cheesy book character?" My heart starts beating fast when she slumps against me, and I wrap my arms around her. This feels nice; this... feels like home. How could I ever leave her for that long? "Besides, I already marked you; it doesn't get more exciting than that."

"Is that so?" I pinch her side, making her shriek.

"People will find out eventually, and then all they will see is that I hold you back. Your dad wants you to go; he's giving you a chance. Take it."

"I can't."

She turns in my arms and cups my face, and I am met with an unusually stern look. "You can and you will."

"And you think I'll just go because you say so?" I smile into the kiss, hoping to wipe the serious expression from her beautiful face, but sadly, to no avail.

"Absolutely, yes."

And that's that.

──────●◎●──────

"... and no runs in the dark. Promise me not to leave the house after nightfall and-"

"Ann, we've been over this a million times, remember?"