Chapter Twenty-Eight: An Obstacle

N I C O H L A S

    After two more weeks of self pity I actually had to get back to work. Unfortunately the old Berlusconi Mafia group was continuing to steal from our drug cartel. As much as I would like to continue drinking my life away, the Berlusconi Mafia was a more pressing matter. A matter of which I would get my anger out and figure out who killed Gianna.

"Vince, update." I demanded.
"Well Boss, seems as though those from the Berlusconi Mafia are holding the drugs and money they took from us in an abandoned estate only a couple hours from here." Vince said, making sure to stay a fair distance away from my desk.

Although I didn't kill anyone in the past three weeks I did end up beating up a couple of my men in my drunken state. It wasn't one of my brightest moments, that's for sure.

"And we figured this information out how?" I asked, I always have to make sure this is reliable info.
"We hacked into the security cameras leading up to the estate and found a couple vehicles entering only a couple hours after our drugs and money were reported missing. The vehicle's plates also matched the ones from the hotel where you first met with them." He answered.

I still can't believe it has almost been whole month since I last saw Gianna. Part of me wished time would slow down so it didn't seem like such a long time ago when I had Gianna with me.

Now however, was not time to dwell on the past, now was the time for answers.

"Alright. I want a team ready to go at 4pm. We leave in an hour." I said, as Vince left and Matteo and Luca entered my office.
"You seem to be in a better mood." Luca said, sitting on the couch.
"I finally get to find the fuck who killed her." I said.
"Good. I'm tired of watching you from a distance." Matteo said, sitting on my desk.

"Do you think you're going to know who did it?" Luca asked.
"I have a feeling I will. It has to be someone from Gianna's past, it would explain why she looked so angry." I said, as the clip of Gianna's death played in my head.

I can't count the number of times I have watched that clip now. Everyday. I know it's unhealthy but every time I was looking for a sign, one that would tell me that Gianna is still alive. Or even a sign of the one who killed her. But, I came up empty every time.

"Do you think it could be someone who she was close with?" Luca asked.
"I mean it's possible. But as far as I know everyone who she was close with is dead." I said.
"Okay hear me out, what if Marcello was still alive." Matteo said, as Luca and I shared questioning looks.
"But we killed him." Luca said, coming to stand with Matteo and I.

"But what if we didn't. I mean yeah we blew up the building he was in but that doesn't mean he didn't survive." Matteo said, standing up and pacing around the room.
"I guess it's a possibility." I shrugged, I didn't see how this was going to get Gianna back.
"So if he did survive, it would explain why the Berlusconi Mafia was still operating. It would also explain Gianna's death, she took everything from him. It would be his way of getting revenge, taking everything we love as pay back." He explained.
"I mean, I get it. But wouldn't it make more sense if they kept Gianna alive and used her as bait instead." Luca said.

Now I was just getting confused. Was there a real possibility that Gianna was alive?

"Ok, ok, let me get this straight. You're saying that Marcello survived and is behind this whole thing?" I asked, I wasn't about to get my hopes up about Gianna.
"Yes, I mean it all makes sense. And maybe the video of them shooting Gianna was set up." Matteo said.
"I understand, but we aren't about to jump to any conclusions. We are going to go get our shit back and then go from there. Until then Gianna is dead, so drop it." I said, I didn't need distractions tonight.