Blackwoods

"Why nothin' is on fuckin place?" Sarah heard someone rambling from the dining room.

There was no mistake of who's voice was that. She rushed in the dining room and put the teapot on place with a small dip of her head. "Good morning, sir."she said politely to the old Duke.
"Forgive me, sir. Agatha isn't feeling so good today so if you'll excuse her absence."

"Is she ill?" he asked while Sarah served the tea.

"No, sir. Just the pain from her leg returned due to the bad weather." Sarah explained. She returned back to the kitchen to bring the eggs and sausages. The cheese plate and the bread. "If you need something else, please let me know." she said quietly to give the man privacy to have his breakfast.

When Sarah left, his son lord James came downstairs. "Good morning." he greets his father as he takes his seat.

Even Alfred was surprised how he attended the breakfast after he came back home literally when the sun came out. "Mornin', son." he grunts. "How come ya ain't weight down by your covers by now?"

"I have work to do." James replied in a laconic way as always.

Alfred looks at him as he started to eat his breakfast. Always focused on what he had on his front. Always silent and concentrated on his deed. "Isn't Caroline awake yet?" he asked.

"I don't know." he replied in monotony.

Alfred sighed deeply and turn his eyes at the window. "James, why don't ya try at all?" he says sadly. "She did nothin' wrong to ya yet ya rather sleep with every whore out there than lay a hand on ya own wife."

James from the other hand wasn't paying much of attention to the wise words of his father. He stuff his mouth with a fork full of eggs and frown seeing that there's no coffee on the table. With an annoyed sigh he trops the fork and stood up. "At least whores know when to shut their mouths." he replied making his way back in the kitchen. "Why there's no coffee in the table?" he coldly asked the young maid. Sarah turn to see him as she was already cutting onions for the stew she was preparing for lunch.

When she turn around to see him her eyes were red and wet with tears from the onions. "I'm sorry, sir. It's ready. I'll bring it on the table right now."

"Don't touch it." he commands calmly seeing her dirty hands that clearly will let a smell on the pot. Instead he takes it on his hand himself. Sarah gently nods to his command and didn't protests.

"Do you need something else, sir?" she asked quietly looking down.

"Aye.." he said in the doorway. "Clean my boots." he gave her a duty before he sees himself out of the room.

Alfred, who was still in the dining room was truly concerned about his son. He should be on his prime now, having nothing else in mind except his work and spending time with his wife. But Alfred wasn't aware of the conversations that took place behind his back between James and Caroline. "Why don't ya take a break from work and go to see Caroline's family with her?" he suggested. "She must have missed them, right?"

"She can go if she wishes." James replied shortly leaving no doubt that he does not want any part of that trip. He was too young when he got married. As it was natural of course obligating to his father's wish to marry the good girl from the good family. But years to come proved that as any other Caroline was too ambitious. Vomitingly ambitious and mostly that draw James away. Besides there was never enough feelings between them to make him stay or even try. He had enough of her bubbling of how important she was and that she should be a duchess already.

Speaking of the devil and Caroline appears in the dining room. "Good morning, father." of course she was good and cunning. That's why Alfred was deceived by her courtesies and mannerisms. She kissed his cheek but didn't attempt to do the same with James who shot her a glare. Although she was cheerful she sobered up seeing the cold eyes from her husband and quietly sits across him on the table. "How did you sleep, my dearest?" she smiles back to Alfred.

"Good, lass. Good." the old Duke replied. He was a simple man in heart, he cared really for his children,because he truly considered Caroline as his own daughter that's why he couldn't understand why James was so cold towards her.

Sarah came in the dining room as always quietly and dips her head towards the lady of the house. "Good morning, ma'am." she said calmly. "Tea?"

Caroline didn't even flinched over the question as Sarah noticed. "I'll have coffee, my dear. Thank you." she sweetly smiles at Sarah. The maid pour her a coup of coffee without saying anything else and withdrew back in the kitchen. "She's such a lovely girl." she remarks to Alfred who was the only one who paid attention to her.

"She is right?" Alfred nods sipping on his tea. "At least Agatha have someone to help her around."

Without minding much of the answer since she didn't care and her question was mostly pretentious she gently clean her throat. "So, I was thinking the past few days if we could visit London next month. We already have an invitation for the annual Ball event of Lady Stanley am I wrong?" she gently turned to see James.

"I don't know." he answers rather flatly. "If you wish to go there be my guest. I have work to do in the distilleries, don't have much time for ballrooms and affairs."

"For what kind of affairs you have time for then, dear husband?" she bitterly spoke back targeting the suspicion she had that he's sleeping with whores.

"The one that doesn't include ladies of good society." he calls back with a shrug.

Caroline blinks over his audacity and looked at Alfred. She takes a deep breath and throws her napkin on the tabletop. "Sarah!" she called.

Few seconds later the young maid came to her see her lady's call. "Ma'am.." she dips her head.

"Could you please see a tray on my bedroom? I'd like to have my breakfast in privacy." she said with authority before she left the table to see herself upstairs in her private chambers.

Without looking at the men Sarah follows the order and takes her breakfast upstairs on a silver tray. Once she enter Caroline's room with a gentle knock she place the tray on the small coffee table by the window. Caroline was obviously upset about something. Perhaps the way her husband denied even considering her suggestion. But, Sarah knew better than that. She's upset because Alfred didn't show any health discomfort. He was calm and good. Caroline could only hope it takes time for the poison to work and that she'll see the results later. And she didn't do any of that without a reason, no. Her actions are well calculated and well actioned. When the new maid came if would be the perfect opportunity for her to have someone to blame. Nobody would believe Sarah. And nobody would believe that Caroline would do such thing.

Unfortunately, for her Sarah wasn't stupid. Running to the masters to reveal what she saw in the morning would probably lead her to the gallows. Instead, Sarah rather to be smart and keep her eyes open to avoid such things in the near future. Because no matter what her heart was vengeful. She couldn't forgive Caroline for attempting something like that to accuse her for murder although she had to give it for the effort and the courage and the sinister mind. "Your coffee is black as you asked." Sarah said politely. Caroline didn't even turn to see her, she only dismiss the maid with a nervous hand gesture and Sarah returns back to her duties.

Many as they were, her duties. Besides the breakfast table now she had to tend the boots of lord James as well. As if he didn't had another dozen of them in line waiting to wear his foot. But if he needed his boots clean then he'll have them.

Firstly, she made sure they had everything they needed on the breakfast table then she took the muddy boots and went down on the washing room holding the dirt muddy boots she found on the lord's chambers.