Azacs And The Oath

"You lost the queen." Sarah remarks.

James rose his eyes to see her and sigh a scoff. They were set the same evening on his tent, the eve of the war,they're playing chess for some time now. "You're a good player." he taunts.

"It's an amusing game surely. Where did that came from?" she asks.

"India I believe.." he shrugged.

Sarah hummed gently enjoying her wine and her victory. "Have you ever been there?" curiously she asked as she settle back on her chair watching him. She knew way too well if he's ever been there or not. She has changed his sheets. She had washed his clothes and scrub his boots way too long to know the vainglorious master she was serving before she'd become his queen mother. "Tell me about India. About that ancient world. The flesh markets and the silly old weeds that makes a man happy."

Sometimes James found her speaking so fascinating that he forgot he hates her in a way. Her glossy eyes due to the wine of course and the enthusiasm of their small talk about his adventures above a wooden chess board. He sighed gently and takes a sip from his cup as well. "You seem like you already know that world although you've never seen it before."

"It can't be much different than here no?" she ponders rolling her glass. "Besides where men live brothels thrive and opiums bloom."

"That's right." he nods with a gentle scoff. "There are overcrowded cities and lonely old forests to forget the rest of the world. And whores..of many kind. And liquid and smoke to make you dizy and happy, as you said."

Sarah smirked watching him. "You've been roaming in the wilderness just like I did." she chuckled lazily. "Maybe my womb never carry you but it seems like we're breed from the same fabric, son. With a small difference.." she remarks. "I never choose that."

"You'll do many things you won't like or pick over..mother." his dark eyes has a furious glimpse of light that made her smile. "Your knees will bleed again. Your teeth with break same as your bones but this time you choose that path and from this point, you can't go back." he grunted as he settle back on his chair and throws his boots on the table. "You can throw commands as much as you want but soon you'll realize my father won't take your running mouth for long."

"That's why I chose him." she smirks foxily. "Unlike the rest he can challenge me."

"Many will." James disagrees. "But I hope you're right on this one."

It was the eve of the war and they're bubbling over a jar of wine. Perhaps to get strength for the challenging times to come. Sometime later a soldier comes in to inform James the units are ready to march by the dawn. Sarah only pat his shoulder and left his tent to let him rest.

James wasn't aware of his father's old mistress presence in the camp. He knew Margaret, met her occasionally once in a feast in a tavern and he knew about the history she and her father shared. But he didn't knew about the surprise he and his father would have in the morning.

Sarah knew from the letters that Alfred was heading south to meet them with the rest of the lords and their men. Same as an other old allie. A marching force back from the days she was roaming the ice and snow.

Before the morning came, a soldier comes inside her tent to wake up Freyja. "My lady." he says quietly to not wake up Sarah who was sleeping peacefully in the corner of the tent. "Some men came to see Lady Blackwood." he informs the handmaid of his lady and left.

Freyja looked over at the man who just left and slowly stood up from the bed. "Wake up, sister." she walked closer to Sarah and gently caress her shoulder. "The Azacs are here." she knew who was coming. She felt their furious marching from her sleep.