James

Blood. The pain over the chest was unbearable. He was coughing blood and probably inhaling it too. He could taste it on his mouth as they carried him away in the safety of the village. They carried him away and his eyes shut as his empty glance mirror the cloudy sky. After that, nothing. Darkness. Endless and empty. Nothingness.

He wasn't sure for how long he was unconsciously but staring at the face that was standing above him he was pretty sure its been a week. "Water.." he managed through his dry lips.

Sarah was standing above him and lean over to take a cup and pour some water to give him. "Slowly." she instructed as she helped him to raise his head a bit so he can take a sip. He groans when his chest was fold when he moved. "Easy.." she says calmly holding the cup on his lips. He managed to take a sip and lay back down panting for air.

"What are you doing here?" he asked her immediately. "Is father alright?"

"Yes, he's home. I asked him to stay because he had important things to arrange so I came here instead of him." she replies calmly and check the bandages across his chest.

"You asked him?" he cocks his brows in disbelief. "Since when he obligates the wishes of maids?"

"I don't know." Sarah shrugged feeling his piercing gaze on her skin as she spoke. "I'm not sure about the maids, he definitely listens to his wife's wishes."

"What?" he open his eyes widely. How long I've been out, he thought instantly.

"We got married." she smiles and turn to look into his eyes. Surprised and shocked as she expected. "You've been out for almost a month." she answered to his inner question. "The situation is crucial.."

"And he decided to get married now?" he cough.

"We're in war with England." she says firmly. "Every bridge of diplomacy has been crumbled since you attack the soldiers. The dukes are on councils two weeks now and many are scared to lose what they have. They won't give men. They sworn to England and they say they're loyal to the crown.."

"Fucking horseshit." James groans as he tried to stand up. "Is he safe?"

Sarah rushed to support his step from the bed and James grab her roughly. She held his cold eyes and clenched jaws pulsing as she looked at him. "You have immortality in your eyes, son."

"I'm not your son." he snarls.

"You're now." she says and he let go of her hand but still held her gaze. "You'll always be for as long I'll carry on your father's name." she cup his face. "You need rest. You have battles to give for your king." she says. A subtle smile rose on her lips and her eyes shone fiercely.

"I'm not fighting for England.." he drag his heavy steps on the wooden table and pour some wine he found on the jar.

Sarah spected his steps and stood behind with hands crossed on her chest. "Of course you won't. Your king is a Scotsman." she smirked.

James had to take one sip first. "He took the crown.." he realized.

"Not yet." Sarah says. "Not now with so many traitors around him but soon."

He turn to look at her and narrow his eyes. "How am I still alive?" he asked darkly.

Sarah let out a small laugh and sat on his bed of pain. "I didn't resurrect you if that's what you thought." she shrugged. "The arrow didn't wound your heart. It seems like you tricked death for a second time.."

"Every word you speak sounds like a threat." he shakes his head.

"What do I have to do to make you believe that I'm on your side?" she sighed.