First-footing(Tilberi)

Hogmanay. An old tradition that holds still in the windy Highlands was the first-footing. In short to step in a threshold of a friend. A tall broad dark haired man to step in the doorway of the house for good luck. Sarah lived that tradition that night. Indeed, a broad dark-haired man stepped into her threshold and he spend a lot of time inside it.

Alfred open up his eyes few hours before dawn. He blinked several times feeling the light weight of his maid leaving his chest cold. He brush his face with his palm and sighed deeply. What the hell got into him, the Duke thought. It wasn't right and he knew it. He shouldn't let himself go like that and just give in.

Sarah was sitting upright ready to leave the bed when she felt a gentle touch on her shoulder. Alfie rise and sits on the bed too. "Lass.." he starts. "It wasn't right. I ain't blaming ya for anythin', I'm just sayin' that whatever happened tonight, yeh? Can't be repeated." he sighed looking at her. Of course he wasn't an animal to just command her to go away since he had his fun.

The young maid turn and looked at him with a small smile. "I understand, my lord. I was just leaving." she said calmly. There was no regret or remorse written on her face as he could see. As she pick up her attire from the floor he observed her for sometime wearing her whites clothing and the apron. Without bitterness and watching back at him with anticipation. She balance her smooth leg of the edge of bed to wear her stocking and Alfred run his hand gently up on her knee. Planting a gentle kiss on her thigh he makes her smile.

"Thank ya." he said calmly watching her. "For tonight.."

Sarah smirked and lean down to give another kiss on his lips. "Dress up, my lord or else you'll catch a death. It's chilly tonight." she remarks as she finished dressing up. Alfred went to the closet to put on some proper attire for the bed. Sarah meanwhile fix her hair and add some logs of woods into the fireplace across his bed. "Sleep tight." she smiles at him. You escaped death for today old man, sleep now, she thought. Giving him a last smile she left his chambers heading downstairs.

"You!" her steps halt hearing a strict voice. Unmistakable of course, that must be lord James. Sarah turn slowly and bows instantly.

"My lord."

"I saw you leaving my father's chambers." he roughly grab her by the wrist and pull her close to narrow his stern eyes on her face. "What you've been doing there? What did you do?" he demanded. Alfred never missed a festival, ever. It was the first time he did and James thought he must be sick.

"I went to his grace chambers to keep the fire on, my lord." she gasped from the rough grop. "He complained earlier the room is too cold, I'm sorry. I just did what I was asked." of course she did and she was very convincing.

James narrow his eyes and push her hand down. "Is he sick?" he asked again, more calmly this time.

"No, he's very well. I think he's just awfully tired, my lord. Patron my words, but I found him sleeping in the bathhouse. He went to bed and just ask me to let him rest." she replied holding her eyes down.

"Very well." James nods.

"Do you need anything, my lord?" she asked again politely without showing any discomfort or fear from the previous rough treatment.

"Yes, more scotch." he murmured.

"And some stew perhaps too?" she rose her eyes and looked at him gently. She knew he didn't dine with Caroline. She doubted also that he saw himself on the kitchen since they just returned from the festival.

"Aye." he shrugged, walking first towards the kitchen downstairs and Sarah was following behind in silence. Once he settled down on the kitchen table she served the bread and a bawl of warm stew. "I asked for scotch." he looked up at her.