One given and one taken

"Do you think it was too soon to test him?" Sarah pondered relaxing close to the fire as her sister rubs her shoulders. "Perhaps I should have left him thirsty for some days before i send you on his way again."

"Sarah.." Margaret sighed in disapproval. "He already refused me. What more could you possibly need to understand that he's loyal to you?" She looks at her sister. "Don't you trust him?"

"I love him." Sarah says. "I do believe that he has a good heart and that he would die for me. But men are also fools. Once the blood leaves south they forget the mere morality they have or the faith to their wives. Leave your dog stray for a second and he'll follow the first tail he'll see."

"But he refused me." Margaret chuckled thinking how ridiculous Sarah she can be with this suspicion. "I think pregnancy have got the best in you.."

"On the contrary, Freya. I'm more awake than ever." Sarah grunts cradling her bump. "I'm scared. I have a bad feeling. I keep watching the hawk ripping my belly in my dreams." She murmured staring into the fire. "I scream but Alfred cannot hear me."

Margaret sighed deeply and came to sit next to her. "I'm here for you. You know that I will protect you from anything."

"I know." Sarah murmured.

"Then you don't need to worry. Alfred is here now." She caress her hand and smiles. "You made the old man fool for you and he'll protect you at all costs." She chuckled. "But loose that hawk you got here. Maybe he brings you bad dreams." Sarah seems like lost in her thoughts. Didn't mind her sister's words lost her eyes on the flames of the fireplace. She stood up slowly and sagged on the chair near by. Margaret alert she rushed to support her. "Sarah.." she gasped.

"No need." The queen rose her hand to let her know she's alright. She saw beyond those flames. She saw herself behind them and a rope around her neck. Then James watching her dying from the fire. It's been a while she had that kind of a dream. She remembered the nights of battles in Newcastle she'd wake up soaked from her sweat. "You need to do a protection pray.." she says to Margaret.

"I will." She holds her gently by the elbow. "Take some rest please. You're scaring me. I don't want to see you like that." Margaret kissed her crown gently and helped her down on the bed.

Sometime later Alfred enters their chambers. Sarah rose her eyes at him curiously. "What are you doing here?" She asked him curiously. "You supposed to be in the council with the lords."

"Your maids told me ya don't feel well." He rushed to her side and cup her face. "Have ya called the healers?"

"Don't need those." She smiles. "I'm alright. I'm just tired. You don't have to worry about anything. If it was important I'd let you know earlier."

Alfred let out a sigh of relief and put his hand on her belly. "I'll stay here with ya. I'll ask em to run ya a bath, it will help ya feel better yeh?"

Sarah smirked watching his worried face. "I'd almost believe it." She teased him.

"Believe what?" He rose his eyes on her own.

"That you care so much about me."

"I do." He says serious. "My heart stopped two times so far. When they brought James nearly dead home and when I saw that cunt taking ya away while I had a sword on my throat." He caress her hair behind her ear gently. "Ya my wife. Soon to be the mother of my child yeh? Ya are the most important woman in my life.."

Sarah felt a deep relaxation from all the tension she had lately. His voice was enough, his presence was enough. Oh how glad she was that she never followed those boys that would leave her starstrucked from the first sight. Those fireworks that soon fade and bitterness takes the place instead. She was glad that she choose him. She took his hand and kiss it. "Lay down with me." She asked him. "Hold me for a while." As he did. Soon he kick off his boots, loose the belt and lay down next to her to hide her on his embrace. She close her eyes contently when her cheek felt his chest. "Would you sleep with another woman? Tell me honestly, Alfred. I believe that we have agreed to be as honest as we can."