1

School isn't scary anymore.

At first it was. My first day here I was terrified I would get awful teachers, hate my classes and make no friends. Those things don't matter anymore. I'm failing most of my classes and couldn't care less, my teachers avoid talking to me or my Dad about my 'negative behaviour and attitude in class' and I don't need friends to get through High School.

I moved to Texas two years ago with my Dad. After he cut off all contact with Mum he decided it would be much easier to look after me if he was closer to his family. Turns out it is much easier for him here. His addictions are much easier to satisfy here, as his old High School friends can hook him up with just about any supplier around town. The looking after part was handed on from him to me.

When Dad refused to get a job we really struggled, we had to move in with his parents until they finally convinced him to get a job. Because he spends more time out, he's become less protective over his weed. So I steal it. And sell it.

I make a decent amount of money too. You'd be surprised the amount of suckers there are in our town who are desperate enough to buy from me. When I started selling I made two rules. One, I would never sell to somebody from school. If school found out I'd be out of there immediately, straight into some kind of juvenile detention centre. Two, I would never sell to a minor or parent. I will never let an impulsive teenager ruin their life the same way my Dad ruined his, and I will never let a parent ruin their child's life.

Walking through the school gates today was the same as always - head straight inside to my locker, pretend to grab something and head to my bench outside, under the elm tree. I wait here until the bell, then head to the bathroom and get to class exactly 15 minutes late.

Today I heard the bell rang and stood up from the bench, shouldering my way through the crowd as I made a beeline to the bathrooms. When I got there I realised I didn't really need to go and just stood in the cubical for a while, scrolling through Twitter.

When the sound of students in the hallway began to fade I unlocked the cubical I was in, pushing the door open and heading to the sink. After I washed my hands a pulled my backpack on and made my way into the hallway. At this time the hallways were always empty. Today however, I came face-to-face with Nick Sapnap.

Nick isn't overly popular at school but he's got friends, and just about every second girl any of the football team has been through are trying to spark something with him. For some reason he's never been tempted.

Nick was at the drink tap, filling up his water bottle. I attempted to make my way past him unnoticed but of course he happened to turn around as I walked past.

"Hi, umm, Y/N... right?"

"Yep. That's me." I turned around to face him, smiling sheepishly and shooting him an awkward thumbs up. "I've gotta go to class."

"Yeah I figured. You're in my maths class, so we can walk together."

Shit.

"Can we take the scenic route?"

"I feel like you already have." He winked at me and walked off in the direction of my classroom. I figured I may as well follow him.

My class wasn't too far from here, only about a five minute walk, but the incredibly one-sided conversation made it feel like much longer. Nick seemed surprisingly intrigued in what I spend my free time doing, and I knew that saying too much would only cause trouble, so I deflected as many questions as I could.

When we got to class Nick stepped in front of me and pushed the door open, holding it for me to walk through. He waved his hand dramatically in front of me before announcing our entrance.

"I found her!"

"Late again, Miss L/N."

I was hoping I could slip into class completely unnoticed, sit in the back and stare out the window for the rest of the lesson. It seemed that was not going to happen today.

"Care to explain why?"

"No. Not really."

"Lunch time detention for the two of you."

"Wait! What do you mean the two of us!?" Nick yelled, outraged that he too had to endure a 45 minute detention with our maths teacher.

"If I am not mistaken, Mr Sapnap, you were also late to this class."

"I was filling up my water bottle! She was just wandering the halls!"

"I could make it after school if that suits you better."

That shut him up. Nick sat back down before mumbling out a reply.

"No sir, lunch is fine."

"Good. Now where was I?"

Immediately, the two kids either side of me shot their hands in the air to indicate they new the answer to the last question he asked. I could tell this was going to be a long class.