4

"Did you go to bed really early last night?" Dad asked as I walked into the  kitchen, sleep still on the edge of his voice.

"Oh, no I didn't. I went out with friends." I replied. That wasn't a complete lie, right?

"Which friends?" He added, a piece of toast hanging out of his mouth.

I was not expecting him to ask that. What do I say? He wouldn't know anyone from school anyway, so I could just lie.

"Nick." I replied. I have no idea why he was the first person that came to mind.

"Like, Nick Sapnap?"

How the hell did my father know who Nick fucking Sapnap is?

"Yeah. Nick Sapnap. How do you know who he is?"

"I know his parents."

If my dad knows Nick's parents that's mildly worrying at the least. As far as I'm aware Dad doesn't speak to anyone other than his friends from high school, most of which are addicts or alcoholics.

"They've reached out a few times before, I was friends with his dad in high school and we fell apart when he saw the things I got involved in."

That made a little more sense. I know looks can be deceiving but I wouldn't think Nick's family could be placed in the same category as mine.

"I wish I hadn't started, and I think he does too, but his wife works in psychology and stuff, so she's given me some resources to help."

Dad had never taken that much interest in my life before, it was refreshing to say the least. Maybe this could have something to do with Nick's family reaching out again. If so, I think I need to keep them talking.

I began my normal routine before school - breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, go. In all honesty it's not very much in comparison to what most other kids in my class do but it always feels like a monumental task in the morning. 

Once I was ready I headed out the door, to my surprise Dad dismissed me with a simple goodbye this morning, which was much less underwhelming than his usual dismissal - he usually didn't notice I was gone until I walked through the door that afternoon. The walk to school felt shorter than usual. I don't know what I was looking forward to but whatever it was had added a pep to my step.

When I arrived I headed straight to the elm tree. I was in a good mood, not good enough to wait outside homeroom, but good enough to sit facing the rest of the school. I leant my back against the tree and pulled my headphones out of my ears, opting to listen to the chatter of students slowly fill the school.

Idly, I sat watching. Simply observing. It never ceases to amaze me how seemingly mundane activities entertain so many of the students. This morning there was a group of about 10 students throwing a water bottle in the air, trying to figure out who could throw it the highest. 

I suppose I can't really talk though. I'm sat getting entertainment watching the very same activity. 

Eventually the group of students grabbed their bags and dispersed in the direction of their homeroom classes, looking at the time on my phone I decided to do the same thing. I shouldered my bag and pushed myself up off the ground.

I sat in my usual seat as the bell rang, much to the surprise of my homeroom teacher, placing my bag on the ground near my feet. Slowly around me the class began to fill with students, most of whom were unfamiliar to me but seemed equally surprised as my teacher to see my face in class.

The tea her went through what I presume to be her usual routine of reading through the notices - bathroom closures, crack down on dress codes and after school detentions - before babbling on about her plans for the weekend.

As interesting as her weekend sounded, I found myself far more drawn to the events taking place outside the class. Nick, late to school, and being dragged to the office by who I presumed to be his parents. 

With the way they presented themselves I'm surprised they'd be caught dead in an area like this. Although who's to say they aren't one of those couples who use their money to support growth of underdeveloped communities riddled with drugs, rather than one that simply pretends they do.

I suppose the thing I found most intriguing was Nick's incredibly low-key attire stood next to his parent's. They were all suits and shiny shoes stood next to their son in a simple hoodie and tracksuit pants.

Maybe I should be worried. If Nick's parents had the right friends, I might end up on a date with him after all. I might end up on a date with Nick fucking Sapnap.