7

"Why does you're car smell so clean?" I asked, placing my bag at my feet as Nick slid into the seat next to me.

"But it isn't." He replied, gesturing to the crumbs and various opened boxes, packaging and plastic lying around.

"My point exactly!" I exclaimed, causing him to snort with laughter.

"It doesn't smell that clean though," He replied, taking an overexaggerated breath in. "It smells like any other car I've been in."

"So Ubers and your parents cars?" I asked, one eyebrow raised.

"Yes-"

"I rest my case!" I interjected, slamming my hand on his dashboard in a jokingly aggressive manner.

Nick simply laughed as he turned to face the road, turning on the ignition and jolting the car into motion. I feel that Nick has taken a liking to the scenic route, as the music store was about three blocks away and it took us half an hour to drive there.

He found a park right out the front of the store, which he didn't hesitate to take. I threw my bag over my shoulder as I climbed out of his car, closing the door behind me. We walked through the doors together, being greeted by the sound of a Beetles album on vinyl and the many instruments lining every possible surface.

"I didn't know there were so many variations of string instruments... Where do we start?" I questioned, partly talking to myself, partly talking to Nick.

"I would think over there," he began, pointing wildly to a wall with a variation of guitar looking things lining it, "but I have no clue if any of them are guitars."

"Well lets start there." I said decisively, grabbing Nick's hand and leading him to the far left wall.

We walked up and down the aisle of the store, looking around aimlessly at the various string instruments when one of the guys working at the counter walked up to us.

"Need a hand?" He asked, seemingly unsure of himself.

Nick and I turned around at the same time, not even hesitating before we exclaimed "Yes!"

"Alright then," the guy responded, chuckling to himself slightly "what is it you guys are looking for?"

"Guitar. We need a guitar." I replied, only making the worker laugh more.

"I've always thought the store layout was a bit odd," he began, leading us towards where I presumed the guitars would be found, "most music stores are organised based on the type of instrument, like strings and percussion. For some unseen reason ours is organised based on the type of music."

He turned left into a large aisle full of a variation of guitars, drums and other instruments typically used in rock songs.

"For instance, this is the rock music aisle. Which is strange because you might actually be looking for an acoustic guitar, over an electric or bass guitar."

"If you think we're looking for an acoustic guitar, you would be right." Nick interjected, to which the worker simply nodded and lead us away.

When we reached the section he had hoped for, he began to talk again.

"What are you hoping for? We have some deeper sounding guitars with slightly thicker strings if that's what your interested in? If there's a specific colour of wood you like we can work with that as well."

"I-umm, this is my first guitar. I wanted to learn to play some songs by Wilbur Soot." I began, it felt so stupid admitting that I was prepared to spend $200 on a guitar to lean to play about 10 songs.

"I've heard of him. You'd be surprised how many people come in here asking for the same guitar as Wilbur. If that's what you're looking for there really is no limits, pick something with thin-ish strings and you should be alright. Let me know if you need any more help."

He began to walk off, before turning back and shouting over his shoulder.

"Also! If you want to practice with the guitar don't hesitate to take it down from the wall. Have a strum, see if you like it. They should all be tuned."

I turned to Nick.

"Thank fuck for that. We'd be so lost without him."

He simply snorted and took a guitar off of the wall.

"Try this." He said, placing the guitar in my hands and gesturing for me to sit on one of the stools in the aisle.

"Alright then," I replied, knowing full well this would sound like shit as I had never touched a guitar before.

I began to randomly strum the strings, rotating my fingers around into different positions and surprising myself a little - the sound was bearable.

I looked up finally, a large grin spread across my face to see Nick, a soft look in his eyes, smiling down at me. He bent down, squatting just in front of me and taking my hands in his, a light tinge of red coming across his cheeks. I could feel mine mirroring his.

He inched his way closer, leaning forward slightly, when I realised what was happening.

I placed my hand firmly in the centre of his chest and pushed him away.

"What the fuck Nick!"