CHAPTER 1. A RED LETTER

I had always been a fairly reserved person, it took the right people to get me to open my shell. I had yet to find those people. My eyes narrowed the the application, rather peeved at the odd question.

I clicked 'no' when it asked if I required blood transfusions. I had least, I hoped that's what it was asking. I scanned my eyes along my answers anxiously before sending it in.

I touched my stomach and closed my eyes, not sure why I was so nervous. "Justice, I got a call from the library. Again." My mother's shrill voice from the door made me look up.

Her eyes narrowed into slits at the computer in my lap. "Justice, we use our laptops at the table, where I can see you." She snapped and placed her hands on her hips. "I don't ask much, so follow my rules, who knows what you'd look at if you were alone!" She admonished.

I closed my laptop. "I'm sorry," I said softly. She raised an eyebrow.

"What were you doing?" Her thin cracked lips twitched when I looked away from her penetrating gaze.

"Just scrolling through recipes," I glanced at her hopefully, and nearly smiled when she relaxed and looked thoughtful.

"For when you cook tonight?" She asked impatiently. I nodded quickly. My mother tapped her blood red nails on the door frame. "Good, now find those books, I mean it Justice. Look for them now." She snapped before turning and walking down the dirty hallway.

I sighed in relief and set the device on my broken desk. My mother was what you called insane. And I'm not talking 'my mom won't let me go to the mall, how crazy is that?!' sort of insane.

I'm talking no friends allowed, no leaving the house, no tv, kind of insane. Hence me applying to everything and anything with desperation.

I rubbed a hand down my face and glanced at the cracked mirror hanging on the wall. I touched my brown hair and scoffed at myself. "Dirt brown hair and poo colored eyes," I mocked myself before bending down to look under the bed.

Seeing no books, I bit my lip and slowly rose, walking to my dresser. I opened it and stared at the clothes inside. I moved them around before closing the drawer loudly. Still no books, which was odd, I had remember putting them in the dresser, to hide them from my mom.

I slapped my hands over my burning cheeks, recalling the erotica I had read. Now is not the time to fantasize. I scolded myself and peeked into my older brothers room.

I wrinkled my nose at the stench that wasn't just teenage boy, it was a man who didn't shower. And it was disgusting.

"Joe, have you seen my books?" I called tentatively. He looked up from his switch and scowled. I stepped back and scurried down the hall. "Okay, so no books," I mumbled and stepped into the kitchen, avoiding the holes in the wooden floor.

"Justice," I jumped and looked at my father, who was staring at his phone. "Make dinner, I'm hungry," he ordered. I swallowed and nodded, turning to open the fridge. "Justice!" I turned, startled at my father's sudden shout.

"Y-yes?" I asked, brown eyes wide. He sneered and slammed his phone down.

"I expect you to answer me verbally, not disrespectfully," I looked down.

"Yes sir," I peeked up at the shaggy haired man, and he nodded, going back to his phone.

"Good, thank you for the food in advance," he told me, not even looking up. I clenched my jaw and opened the fridge roughly. I pulled out the thawing chicken and went to work. As I opened the package of meat, the doorbell rang.

I hummed, and the bell rang again.

"Justice, get the damn door!" My mother screeched. I sighed in frustration and washed my hands quickly, opening the door as someone rang the bell a third time.

A man with a smile and letter stood on our sloped front steps. "Sir, I believe you sent in an application?" The man questioned, eyeing my baggy t-shirt and sweatpants. My cheeks flushed.

"I'm a-"

He cut me off. "Here's your letter, I trust you don't always dress this way." He turned, and I opened and closed my mouth.

Who was- why that - I closed my eyes briefly and looked at the red envelope in my hand. A hand delivered letter, on the same day I applied?

"Who was that?" My dad asked, and the letter went into my back pocket.

"Jehovah's witness, I told them we didn't want any vacuums." I lied, going back to my chicken.

"Vacuums? I didn't know that was in their religion," My father mused, confused. I felt my cheeks burn as I seasoned the food.

I'm an idiot.

***

I stared at my plate as everyone ate around me. I glanced up as my mother cleared her throat, dabbing her mouth like we didn't live in a dump.

"Justice, I'm going to need your computer," she told me, and I stood, ready to argue.

"But I -" she raised a palm.

"You broke the rules, using that wretched device where I couldn't see you. And you're not to leave your room either," her perfect brows wrinkled. "I found those books, and I'm very upset."

My face was a perfect picture of horror. I stood, stumbling a little, and scurried to my bedroom. I sat on my bed and took out the letter, fingers trembling.

My ticket out of here.

I opened the envelope and faltered, eyes blowing wide at the contents. Supernatural retreat? When did I sign up for that?!

My eyes drifted to the date when I should start, and once more my jaw dropped.

Today?!

I signed up today, got the letter today, and am supposed to leave today too?!

It didn't make any sense! I didn't even know how I was going to get a ride yet!

My eyes dipped to the end of the letter, and my lips made a perfect 'o' shape.

  We look forward to seeing you soon, Mr. Justice.

   -SNRC

I covered my face and groaned. "Why does this always happen to me?" I asked, and the bell rang through the house. I stood from my bed curiously and looked out the window. A bus. There was a bus outside, and a monkey knocking at my door.

A small monkey, wearing a red hat.

I looked away.

I'm going crazy.

I heard my parents yelling and screaming making me wince. I paused hearing a knock at my window.

The monkey smiled.

Then it spoke. "Mr. Justice, are you ready to leave?" My face was pale, but I managed a confused nod.

"Er, yes, let me just-" I looked around my room. "Grab a few things?"