CHAPTER 4. I'm A Girl

"They're burning," Caledon snapped harshly when I became distracted by the noise coming from the dining hall. I could hear all the other interns laughing and playing around while I was stuck here.

With a monster.

I flipped the patties and looked up as the door opened. It was the purple skinned woman named Monica. She smiled at me. "You're still here," she said brightly.

Caledon said nothing, but I didn't miss the angry aura coming off him in waves. Why was he mad this time? I sighed aloud and nodded. "Yes, thank you for having me," I shot a look at Caledon, who regarded me silently. See? That's what friendliness looks like.

As if hearing my thoughts, he snorted. Monica looked between us, her lips rising. "Justice, will you sit with me tonight? I think we could get along," Caledon sneered at her words, but I ignored him.

"I'm Sorry, I'm sitting with Malcus," they both stared at me, stunned.

Monica blinked her pink eyes. "What makes you want to sit with him?" Her brows pulled together in confusion.

"He invited me,"

Caledon snorted, again.

I crossed my arms. "He did!" I said defensively and scooped the finished food onto a plate. Caledon stepped behind me, and I went stiff as his long shadow fell over me.

I inhaled sharply as his back touched my head when he leaned down. He grabbed the plate and pulled away. I turned and watched him silently walk out of the kitchen.

"Have you met the other interns?" Monica asked, ignoring Caledon's sudden disappearance. I shook my head and picked at a string in my shirt. "Well what are you waiting for? Come on," Monica gave me a warm smile and offered her hand.

I was startled at the gesture, but took the offered hand. It was soft, and I noticed Monica smelled lightly of something floral. I stared at the purple hand holding my own pale one and gulped as we stepped into the dining hall.

Everyone was already standing behind chairs, not sitting. I felt Monica let go of my hand, and I looked around panicked. Brown eyes latched onto mine, and Malcus waved me over. I walked over quickly, not taking my eyes off his.

He smiled as I stood behind the chair next to him.

"You must be Justice," I looked up, rather surprised to find other people standing at the table, which I hadn't noticed through my tunnel vision.

A hand was extended, and I looked at the person offering it. I nearly gasped at the Fox ears before I caught myself and shook the hand. The man grinned and pulled back. "I'm Lucas, it's nice to see new faces again." I nodded and looked at the other person at the table.

The girl sniffed and touched her cup with long thin fingers. I watched her glass light up a bright green. "What made you choose SNRC?" She asked snippily.

"They accepted me first," I said bluntly and looked to the side as someone began speaking through a microphone. It was the one who owned the resort, what was his name?

Henry?

No, it was David.

"Thanks you for all our staff and new interns, we hope this place becomes like home to you." David paused as a few people clapped. I lightly tapped my hands together and glanced at Malcus.

He wasn't clapping.

"Thank you, thank you, now, a few ground rules," I stared at David as his eyes wrinkled with his smile. "Blood is to be kept in the fridge here in our kitchen, I know it's inconvenient, but it's a rule. If you have any questions, you can ask our head chef, Caledon Holmes." I searched the room and spotted Caledon.