CHAPTER 23. A Talk With Zane

"I love you, I love you so much," I told the kitten, gazing at her as it stared back. It purred loudly and curled against my cheek, laying down.

I giggled and glanced over at Caledon, who was cutting onions calmly. He looked over, lips rising into a smile that I still couldn't get over.

"She likes it here a lot," he said slowly before scowling. "Which pisses me off, because we can't think of a good name yet,"

I shrugged and rubbed my cheek on the kittens soft fur. "We'll think of a nice one," I told him and bit my lip.

I was wearing baggy sweat pants and a hoodie- to hide the clothes I was wearing underneath. Because I had a feeling Caledon wouldn't let me leave the kitchen much less the hotel in what I was going to wear to the club.

  "Hey, after dinner, I'm going out with the girls..." Caledon looked over, hand stilling.

"Again?" He frowned and dumped the onions into a steaming pan. I nodded and rose up, climbing off the clean counter. The kitten looked irritated that I moved away, but slowly drifted off into sleep anyway.

"Yeah," I said simply and heard guests moving around in the dining room. David peaked his head into the kitchen.

"Justice! Glad to see you're doing better, how's dinner looking?" I gave him a thumbs up.

"Should be done in five minutes or so," I told him and glanced at Caledon, who nodded in agreement.

David smiled. "Good, good, hey, Zane wants to see you in the meeting room." I faltered.

"Zane does?" I asked nervously and touched the bottom of my hoodie. David nodded and waved a hand.

"Thanks for cooking!" He called and was gone before I could ask him anything. I turned and looked at Caledon in alarm.

"I don't want to talk to Zane," I told him, and he shrugged, stirring the pot.

"Then don't, you can do whatever you want, little shit," he said easily. I sighed and rubbed the kitten's
head gently.

"It will probably get more complicated if I ignore him, besides," I grew determined. "I have a few things to ask Zane," I said and bit my lip.

Caledon didn't say anything for a long moment as I watched him. He glanced at me and raised an eyebrow. "What the hell are you waiting for? Go," he told me and rolled his eyes.

I huffed. "Fine, I was kind of hoping for some words of wisdom," Caledon looked at me in disbelief.

"What the fuck would you need that for? Just fucking go and say what you want, jeez," he said and shook his head.

I scoffed and turned to the door, slowly walked out. I smiled at a few of the guests who glanced at me, and they smiled back kindly. I paused and recalled the jacket Zane had given me when we first met.

I made a small detour, going back into the kitchen, going over to the small bag I always kept there. Caledon watched me pull out there jacket and and muttered something under his breath.

I ignored his mumbled words and quickly ran out of the kitchen, walking swiftly to the meeting room, eager to get answers.

I opened the door and walked in, searching the room for Zane. He was looking out a window, and slowly turned to face me.

I walked over silently and pushed the jacket to his chest. Zane reached up and grabbed it, and as our fingers brushed, I pulled away sharply.

I took three steps back and inhaled deeply as Zane frowned. "Justice-"

"It's yours, I'd feel bad if I kept it any longer," I interrupted quickly and wrapped my arms around my waist. "So, what did you want to talk about?"

He looked at me, and I held his gaze steadily. "I get the feeling, you're mad at me,"

I licked my lips. "Well, you're calling me a liar, so yes, I am upset."

Zane looked at his jacket briefly before draping it over a chair. "Justice, do you know why what you're saying is impossible?"

I looked at him, irritated. "No, I don't," I said and crossed my arms.

Zane leaned on the table and crossed his arms. "The only thing that could do what you're saying happened, is the Fae. That would mean the Fae are already free, and that they can control the supernatural." His gaze was hard. "And neither is possible,"

I glared at him stubbornly. "Fine, well, if that's all-" I turned and froze when he grabbed my wrist, body pressing into my back.

"I heard you and some of the girls were going out tonight, where are you going?" Zane asked slowly.

I glared at the wall, frustrated. "I don't see how my free time is any of your business," I said stiffly.

Zane grabbed my shoulder and turned me around despite my struggle and looked at me in disbelief. "Are you that upset? Justice, you're being childish," he admonished.

I looked to the side, refusing to meet his eyes. "You're being an idiot, why can't you just look into what I said, just a little?"

Zane sighed and let go of my wrist. "Justice, the Fae are evil creatures hell bent on ruling this world, why would they help someone like you?"

I paused. "Someone like me?" My voice rose and I glared at him. "What is that supposed to mean?!"

Zane frowned. "Justice, don't take what I'm saying personally, why would they help you? A small human girl? It makes no sense,"

I shrugged and kept glaring at him. "I don't know, maybe they had a change of heart after being imprisoned, who am I to say?" I bit down on my lip and looked at him angrily.

"Justice, look-" I raised a hand and Zane paused and let me interrupt him, ever the gentlemen.

"I don't really want to talk about it anymore," I said stiffly. "You've made your point, I'm just a human girl who's hallucinating for attention."

Zane looked like he was beginning to lose his patience. "You're putting words in my mouth, I don't want to fight with you, but I can't believe you either."

I tore myself away from him and made a sound of anger. "Malcus and Caledon believe me!"

Zane shook his head. "Sure they do, they're just trying to appease you, what you're saying-" he shook his head again. "Justice, it's not possible,"

I turned and stomped to the door. "Fine, well I'm going out," I said coldly.

"Don't do anything stupid because you're mad at me," Zane called.

I seethed and turned. "As if I'd let someone like you influence me!" I slammed the door behind me causing a passing intern to look at me with wide eyes.