CHAPTER 20. Forest Adventure

My short hair was flying behind me, screams tearing from my lips, and I was being chased by two idiots.

The second I slipped away from them, I was totally telling my 'mom' and 'dad' all about this, and no one was going to stop me. They weren't faster than me, but I knew I was going to get tired first.

I was fairly certain that the Intern was a werewolf, the staff member however, I think he was a simple- a green glowing ball flew past my head and smacked into tree- and it wilted.

I screamed again. "Oh my god!!" I yelled and slipped into the forest. I needed some cover, because I was living long enough to make sure Caledon ripped them to shreds.

They almost seemed to hesitate before they followed me into the dark and thick forest. I ran and slid behind a tree, ducking down and hoping for a chance to catch my breath.

I thought I was going to die at SNRC several times, but I never pictured myself leaving this world from hands that weren't Caledon's.

I wiped my forehead and evened my breathing, slowly peaking out from behind the thick tree surrounded by bushes and tall grass. I swallowed silently, relieved but rather nervous that I couldn't see them.

I was almost certain they had followed me all the way into the forest, but now as I heard nothing, I wasn't sure.

If they did follow me, and intended to hurt or kill me, I had to keep moving. If the intern was a werewolf, I had little doubt that he could smell me. Worse though, the staff guy seemed to be some sort of magician, who at the very least was good with long range attacks.

So basically, my chances of survival are quit slim. I thought and got onto my hands and knees, crawling through bushes. I paid no mind to the thorns and wet mud as I tried to make some sort of escape.

A stick cracking made me freeze and turn my head. The intern, who's name I didn't even know, smiled and looked at me with very ill intentions.

"You're really going to wish you had left SNRC when I'm done with you bitch," he promised and grabbed the back of my shirt, dragging me up.

"No, you're going to regret messing with me!" I snapped and struggled as he pulled me off the ground. I gasped when he shoved me, and I fell into a tree.

I winced as my back hit the strong wood and stared up at him. I raised my hands. "Hey, we can sort this out without violence," I said weakly.

The intern shook his head. "No, I've already come this far, besides," he grinned. "By the time I'm done with you, you're not going to be able to talk,"

I flinched and lost the color in my face. I reached behind me and picked up a rock, chucking it at him before scrambling to my feet and taking a run for it.

What I didn't account for, was the staff magician to appear out of fricking nowhere and grab me. "Let me go-" I screamed as the intern wiped his bloody nose.

I was pleased at the damage I caused, but also knew he wanted to hurt me even more now. The staff member held my arms behind my back as I kicked and yelled.

"I was kidding when I said you were dead, but now I think it's a pretty damn good idea," the intern hissed.

"That's taking it pretty far," the staff member said slowly, and I nodded vehemently.

"Yeah! You'll get caught for sure-" the intern grabbed my chin sharply between thin and harsh fingers.

"A small human girl wandered into the forest rumored to be filled with monsters," the intern let go of my face and raised his hands laughing. "It's not surprising her body was never found,"

I swallowed as the staff member seemed to be onboard with the interns plan. "Can I at least know your name?" I asked, looking him in the eye steadily.

The intern frowned. "It's William Lick, why do you ask?"

My eyes shone. "I want a name to curse so I can haunt you until you go insane," I told him, lips curling.

He raised his hand to slap me, and I turned my head to the side quickly. After a long moment, when no hit came, I slowly looked up.

His hand was frozen in the air, his eyes glazed over. The staff member suddenly let me go, and I stumbled to the side, falling on my butt.

I looked at the two men with wide eyes, wondering why they suddenly stopped. "Hello?" I called and tilted my head to the side.

William Lick, the intern, slowly looked at me, only his head moving. He sort of reminded me of a zombie. I stared for a long moment, him staring back as well, eyes blank.

I slowly got to my feet, eyes never leaving his. What is this? He looks almost possessed... Fae? No, Zane made it clear they can only attack humans.... but then, what happened to them?

I touched my heart. And why didn't it happen to me?

"... You're not William Lick, are you? You're someone else," I guessed and nearly smacked myself. Why aren't we running?! Why are we talking to it?! I yelled at myself.

The... thing, nodded his head to my question, making a gasp leave my lips. I bit my lip anxiously.

"Did... you do this to... help me?" I asked, fingers shaking. I quickly hid my quivering hands behind my back and waited, not sure if I should be scared or not.

Maybe magical human girl helping creatures lived here, to you know, help people.

The thing made the intern nod and I forced a small smile. "T-thank you..." I stuttered and pointed out of the forest. "I should go, people will be looking for me..."

When they didn't speak, I turned and walked swiftly out of the dense forest. That... was scary... I ducked under branches and pushed past bushes, wanting out. Now.

I closed my eyes and stepped into the sun, trying to get control over my emotions. I took a deep breath and wearily made my way up the hill. As I walked, a group of people caught my eye, and I waved.

One of them ran over, and the shifter name Zoe grabbed my hand. "Justice! Thank goodness! We've been looking everywhere for you!" She exclaimed.

I bit down on my lip. "I- I'm sorry," I touched my heart and gasped, suddenly feeling overwhelmed.

Zoe pulled me into a quick hug. "It's fine, I'm just glad you're okay! Come on, Zane Lawless wants to talk to you."

"Zane?" I repeated.

Zoe nodded. "Yes, you've been gone two hours,"

My jaw dropped. "That's impossible!"

She shrugged and looked at me sideways. "I'm sure you can explain that to Zane and the others. Like Caledon." She said dryly.

Oh... Oh shit, Was the last thing I thought before I suddenly felt dizzy. I stumbled and suddenly lost consciousness.