CHAPTER 21. Not My Imagination

Have you ever had a dream, where you knew you were sleeping?

Even as I felt as though I had been falling through blackness forever, I knew it was a dream. I didn't get those butterflies that normally filled ones stomach when you fell...

I was just... falling...

And falling...

And falling...

And-

Everything suddenly turned gray as I found myself sitting in a familiar chair. Still aware I was sleep, I looked around the room, feeling eyes.

Zane smiled at me, and even in dream form, he made my heart race. I opened my mouth to speak when I suddenly lurched forward, a sharp pain in my chest.

I looked down and stared at the knife in my stomach, blood seeping from me. It startled me, how one could feel so much pain, in a dream.

I snapped my eyes up and looked at Zane before looking at his right hand, covered in my blood-

I leaned forward as my eyes flew open, feeling sweaty and cold. My body trembled as I looked around the room, clutching the blankets around me. "Finally awake?"

I looked over at the person speaking, relieved. "You're Malcus's friend," I said to the woman who slowly stood.

She nodded and looked me over. "Yes, it's Carla, by the way," I nodded and she narrowed her eyes. "Bad dream?" She guessed.

I nodded at Carla and wiped a hand down my face. "Yeah, it was something..." I looked at the door. "Did those two idiots get in trouble?" I asked hopefully.

She frowned. "You mean William Lick and Frank Dean?"

I nodded. "Yes," I affirmed.

Carla's lips twisted. "Hmm, I'm sure you can ask Zane all about it, follow me, if you're well enough." I got to my feet and followed Carla out the door. I looked down the hall and realized I had been in a guest room.

"Are we going to the meeting room?" I asked slowly, and Carla looked back at me as we descended the stairs.

"Yes, you are," she agreed and nodded at me. "Come find me if you want, when you're done," she smiled at my clothes, or grimaced. "We're going shopping girl, you wouldn't be confused for a guy if you showed some of that body."

I blushed. "O-oh, thanks, I'd like that," I told her and smiled before I frowned. "You don't mind.... that I'm human?"

Carla walked over and bent down. I turned red as she placed a kiss on my cheek, lingering long enough for me to experience my first gay panic.

"No, it makes you cuter," she winked and turned. I watched her hips sway as she walked away confidently. Woah, I wish I was as confident as she was. I thought and looked at the meeting room door.

I held the door knob for a very long time before I finally worked up the courage to open the door. My body froze for a moment seeing Zane, but I quickly shook it off, sitting down.

I smiled sweetly at Caledon, who I wasn't surprised to see seething. "Oh, hey, how are we feeling -"

He grabbed my arm, pulling me out of the chair, arms sliding around me. I smiled and hugged him back, head resting on his lower chest. "You fucking scared me," Caledon growled and hugged me tighter.

I smiled. "Sorry," I told him and pulled back, sitting down in the chair. Caledon quickly stood behind me, holding the back of my chair. I looked at Malcus and winced. "H-hey..."

He sighed. "I'm happy you're back and safe," he told me and rubbed his temples. I slowly sifted my attention to Zane.

"Justice, could you please tell us what happened?" Zane asked, sounding natural.

I nodded. "Okay, so these two guys started picking on me, and I kicked one in the balls-"

Caledon snorted and I looked back and up to see his face. He have me a toothy smile. "That's my girl," I grinned and looked back at Zane.

"So, they said they were going too kill me-" I ignored the surprising growl these came from Malcus and rushed to finish my story. "I hid, but one of them found me, and just as they were about to hurt me, they suddenly stopped moving." I paused to catch my breath and faltered at the look of disbelief on Zane's face.

"Justice, are you sure that's what happened? They just stopped?" Zane asked.

I nodded quickly. "Yes! And then, they just let me leave, it was really like someone took control of them-"

"That's not possible," Zane interrupted coldly.

I paused and shook my head. "That's what happened!" I leaned forward, speaking without thinking. Or perhaps, speaking with too much innocence and trust.

"They were like robots, is it possible that fae or some other creature took control-"

"Justice, stop it," Zane raised a hand and sighed, sounding tired. "William and Frank told me they were teasing you, and you got lost and frightened in the forest. They weren't controlled, and they weren't trying to kill you."

I opened and closed my mouth, stunned. "N-no, that's not what happened!" I argued and swallowed. "I know what I saw! What are you saying, that I dreamed the whole thing?!"

Zane shrugged and looked through papers, not even bothering to give me his whole attention. "You're a human who just discovered the supernatural, it was your imagination."

I stood from my seat, infuriated. "I know what I saw! Those -"

Zane slammed a hand on the table. "What you're saying happened isn't even possible!" He exploded, making me flinch. "Fae can't control us! They can only control you!" Zane took a sharp breath. "Maybe the Fae are in your head, and made you hallucinate, Caledon will have to check."

I seethed and looked at Caledon. "Do you believe me?"

The vampire didn't even blink. "Of course I do,"

I looked at Malcus. "Do you believe me?"

He nodded silently. I turned on Zane and bit down on my lip. You told me to be the main character of my own story. I won't be a naive y/n or any other stupid character. I know what I saw and experienced.

"Fuck you!" I snapped at Zane, his jaw dropping as I turned and stomped out the door.

I won't let this go, I need more information, I need to learn more and understand how this world works.