Three Years Later

Luz carried the last box into the house, her aunt walking out of a room clapping her hands together as if knocking off the dust from the gloves before she started pulling them off and tossing them into the bag of garbage from their cleaning. The newly high school grad smiled at her and walked over to get a better look of the house she had left almost three years ago, that being said, it was pretty well kept.
   It had been rented out until that spring when she turned 18 but she wasn't really able to move in until she graduated high school in which she had done. Now the girl had her sweet home back, covered in dust and a few cobwebs but it wasn't anything that she couldn't take care of with the help of her clean aunt.

   "I finished cleaning the kitchen and stairs, all you have to do now is unpack." Jessie told her niece with a smile.

   "Thanks for helping me." Luz told her with her own smile of gratitude. "I mean from helping me pack, to letting me use your car, and helping me unload everything to their proper places. It would have been so much work alone."

   Luz had moved to Washington, it was against her will but when she got there she had only returned to Connecticut to see Vee for their mother but other than that and their birthday it wasn't anything. Vee had understood and was doing her best in the Boiling Isles which she had never been a fan of but still she was comfortable with Eda.
   Aside from all that Luz had gotten to know her aunt better. She heard stories of her mother's childhood and got along with her aunt. She was the one who taught her how to drive a car and the one who taught her how to drive a motorcycle which would be hard but Luz loved it so much so she was a fast learner.

   "Thanks for everything else, Jessie." She hugged her.

   "No problem, Kid." Her aunt hugged her. "Okay I have to catch a plane... are you sure you can do this? I can stay here an extra day and help you unpack."

   "I'm gonna be fine." Luz smiled. "But call me when you get home."

   "Will do." She left the house leaving the girl to start unpacking.

   Luz threw herself on the couch and closed her eyes, sighing deeply. She really didn't want to unpack but she knew that she had to do it now or it would never get done. She also needed to get it done so she could visit her second home and have the place ready for Vee.
   She was dragged to Washington but grew up to know her aunt and tried not to stress over the Boiling isles, though it wasn't easy leaving the second family she formed there, and it especially wasn't easy leaving the girlfriend she had. She completely just abandoned Amity with no explanation, she had felt terrible and a part of her didn't want to be confronted and didn't want to see the witch for that reason.

   "Si puedes!" Luz sat up with a pump of her fist. "Ugh but first I have to take care of this place."

   She looked at her phone and slumped once again, she rolled her sleeves up and started reaching into boxes, taking out things like pictures and things to display. It wasn't much since most of it was given to her by her aunt and Luz hardly ever bought anything that wasn't a necessity.

                    ➵ ➵ ➵

   It had been a week since Luz had settled into her home. She made it look like someone was living there, she also made it comfortable for her if she ever chose to return for a while, which she did plan on doing since Vee had already planned on living there.

   "I'm home!!" The door opened.

   "Vee!"

   "Luz!"

   They both ran at each other with smiles and tears until the moment they clung onto the other, each taking in everything they missed since their last meet up which was a few months ago but those few months felt like years.

   "I missed you so much!"

   "Me too!" Vee smiled, pulling away. "Wow this place is ours."

   "Yeah." She nodded. "I already unpacked but you can do whatever you want with the place while I'm at the Boiling Isles."

   "Just visit or leave letters." Vee smiled. "Call!"

   The sisters spent the next few days catching up on the last few months, Vee was reported back and the search was over and she now also owned the house.

                     ➵ ➵ ➵

   The girl pulled on her jacket and backpack, picking up her helmet and locking the door right behind her. She had already said her goodbye to Vee before the girl went to work in the car that used to belong to their mother. They had decided she would get it and Luz would stay with her motorcycle.
   She tossed one of her last bags into the side cart on her motorcycle, it sat with many other bags that would hold her over until she decided to come back to get more things.

   Luz walked over to her motorcycle and hopped on leaving the house driving herself exactly where she wanted to go, stopping as soon as she got there. She revved up the bike once more just to listen to the ripping growls beneath her just before pulling out the key and getting off only to lean up against it staring at the old shack before her.

   It had been a while since she'd seen the area but it was exactly just how she left it. It had also been a while since Owlbert picked her  up to help guide her through the door, although she missed it, she actually liked it better because she could now take her sweet time. Today being the day she took the most time before letting it sink in that her mother was gone and she would be living on the Boiling Isles temporarily until she decided she would rather go back to the human realm.
   Luz reached into her pocket running her finger against the edge of the perfectly folded sheet of paper as it waited patiently to be presented to it's recipient. Just the thought of giving it up had her palms clam up in sweat. She pulled her hand out and wiped them on her jacket, nervously clutching the fabric.

   "This is it Luz." She started talking herself up. "You can do this!"

   To calm herself down she did what she always did when she was nervous. She put in her earbuds and pulled out her phone picking a random playlist not really paying attention to the songs in said playlist, although she wasn't particularly avoiding any song, she just wanted to calm down. As the music started playing Luz took in a deep breath with the wind and closed her eyes trying to calm down which was starting to work, just like magic.
   Three years. It's been three years since she involuntarily cut herself off from all contact with the Boiling Isles and her heart raced at the simple thought of going back. It wasn't a bad feeling but it also didn't make her feel good.

   Another sigh passed her lips as she lightly slapped her cheeks. "You can do this, Luz." She huffed one last time and walked up the steps, her hand placed on the cold door knob.
   The girl walked in, a breeze of the fall air surrounded her, she didn't do much looking, not that there was very much to be looking at in the first place, mainly a bunch of dust particles that floated in the air and through the light and multiple cobwebs in every corner. She instantly headed towards the hiding spot of the key, thankfully it was still where she left it. She walked out closing the door behind her
   Luz turned to the door and looked at the key, the one she's had since the very beginning, accidentally dropping it. Is this a sign telling me not to go in!? she asked myself but picked the key back up slowly unlocking the door, leaving it open to be met face to light with the glow. She put on her helmet and got back on her motorcycle turning it back on and gripping the handles, her palms still sweating. She drove forward making it up the stairs and through the door.