Part Ten: (Ballad) Oh, This Is Just Getting More And More Complicated

You were throwing a paper ball back and forth with Matt and Mike, annoying your teammate's whose heads it flew over, as Mr Schue walked in.

The teacher headed straight for the board, picked up a green marker, and wrote something upon it. The three of you turned as soon as he began speaking. Giving the man your full attention. Leaving Mike to hold on to the paper ball.

"Ballad. From Middle English 'balade'," he said, walking further towards the class, pointing towards the board with the marker, "Who knows what this word means?"

"It's a male duck," Brittany said as others raised their hands.

"No, honey, that's a mallard."

"Kurt."

"A ballad is a love song," he told the teacher.

"Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music, which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way."

"Oh, Mr Schue's becoming a bard, everyone."

"A bard?" Santana asked.

"Yeah," you replied with a nod, "You know, like off D'n'D."

"You are such a nerd," Quinn commented.

"It's fun!"

"Okay," your teacher interrupted your little "conversation" with the girls. To carry on with what he was saying, "Now, Sectionals are in a few weeks. And there's a new rule this year. We have to perform." He pointed over to the board with the pen still in hand, "A ballad."

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off."

"Oh, well, thank you for that, dear sister," you sassed, while Puck nodded to the girl sarcastically when she smiled brightly at him.

"Okay, so here's our assignment for this week. I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner."

"Pass!"

"Nuh-uh, Y/N." Mr Schue shook his head at you, pointing the pen your way. "Everyone. And I mean everyone has to participate." He then leaned down to peer into your eyes. "You gotta look them right in the, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it."

"I pick Quinn," Finn spoke.

"Gross."

"No, no, no, no, no." The teacher shook his finger at the boy. "Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate."

"You playing matchmaker now, Mr Schue?" you asked, while everyone else 'oohed', "Because a part of me thinks that, that, somehow has to be illegal, in some way."

""Ooh", yeah. I put all your names in this hat." He picked up a black top hat to show everyone. "Whoever you choose is your partner."

"For life, or...?"

Faintly, you heard Brittany whisper to Santana, "I bet that duck's in that hat."

"It would make a cool change from it being a rabbit," you called over.

Santana raised her hand, "But Matt's out sick today. He had to go to the hospital 'cause they found a spider in his ear," she finished off with a giggle.

"New fear, being realised," you stated amongst your cringing classmates.

"I told him he should have slept in the tent instead of the hammock when we went camping," Mike stated with a shake of his head, you humming along in agreement.