Ch.1

Anything written in [these] indicates the reader using sign language to communicate

---

*Y/N's POV*

'This is the third pair this week, alone...' I huffed as I looked at the broken pair of hearing aids in my hand.

I crammed the small devices into my school bag as my classmates' taunts and jeers wormed their way into my mind.

'Why can't they just leave me alone?'

'Would anyone miss me if I just up and died?'

As if the universe was playing a sick joke on me, a massive truck came out of nowhere, smacking into me and sending me skidding across the asphalt.

Pain flooded my body as I lay twitching and bleeding out. 'I love you, Oba-Chan...' I thought to myself before taking one final, agonizing breath.

---

When I next opened my eyes I was met with the most beautiful sight. I was standing on top of an ocean so clear and crystalline that you could see to the bottom while the sky was a mesmerizing blend of pinks, blues, and purples with the fluffiest white and pink clouds. 

It was so peaceful...

It was warm...

It was comforting.

'Am I dreaming?' I wondered.

"I am afraid not." A somber voice said.

I spun around only to come face to face with a man. He had long blonde hair, golden eyes, and pristine white wings.

He stepped closer, taking my face gently in his hands, and placed a kiss on my forehead.

After what felt like an eternity, he pulled away, tears flowing freely down his pale cheeks.

"You have lived a life fraught with pain, sadness, and heartbreak...yet even in your final seconds of life, you thought of your grandmother." He said softly, his mouth never moving. 

'How is my Oba-Chan, doing?' I inquired.

The man smiled gently and waved his arm, summoning a large crystal mirror. I gazed into the mirror and saw myself lying dead in a hospital bed as my grandma held my hand against her cheek and wept.

'Oba-Chan...please don't cry. I'm not worth crying over...'

"Since you died far before you were supposed to, I will grant you a second chance at a life in a world separate from the one you were born in." The man said and stepped aside to reveal two doors. One of the doors looked like books on a shelf while the other was more simple looking.

"The choice is yours."

I took one last longing glance at my grandma before walking up the more intricate-looking door. I pushed it open only to be blinded by a bright white light.

---

*Atsushi's POV*

"Boy am I glad that's over..." I sighed, having just finished my job with Ranpo.

I was about to ask Dazai about Ranpo's ability when the strong scent of blood stopped me in my tracks.

"Something wrong, Atsushi?" Dazai asked as he turned to me.

"I smell blood!" I said and bolted off in the direction that the scent was coming from. It didn't take long before I found the source. A young girl around my age was laying in a small puddle of blood, her body covered in bruises and various other wounds.

"Miss...can you hear me?!" I asked frantically as I began to panic.

"Did you find the injured person?" Dazai asked before kneeling next to me.

"I did but she's unresponsive!" 

"That's because she's deaf." Ranpo declared as he tossed something at me. I caught the objects and looked to see that it was a set of broken hearing aids. 

"Her name is Y/N L/N..." Dazai said softly after Ranpo handed him what looked like an ID card.

Once we finished identifying her I called called Kunikida who came to pick us and the girl up.

---  

(One week later)

Nearly a week had passed since we found that girl and she still hadn't regained consciousness. We figured that with how extensive her injuries were that it would be better to bring her to Yosano, instead of the hospital.

I had been working on my latest report when Yosano came into the office. "She's finally awake."

I immediately got up from my desk and went to the infirmary to try and figure out what happened to the poor girl. 

Upon entering the room the girl and I locked eyes for a moment before she looked away. 

*Reader's POV*

The boy walked up to my bedside and sat down in a chair with a nervous look on his face.

[My name is Atsushi Nakajima. I'm not very good with sign language yet but I wanted to be able to talk to you.] He signed, pausing every now and then as if trying to remember the right hand movements.

Even though his signing was sloppy it made me happy to see someone at least trying to communicate with me. 

I smiled softly and pointed to my school bag before motioning for pen and paper.

He nodded and got my notebook and a pen out for me.

'Hello, Atsushi-kun, my name is Y/N L/N. Thank you for your kindness, it means more to me than you realize.' I wrote and passed him the notebook.

'It's no problem. I know what it's like to be treated badly for being different. Anyway...do you remember what happened to you?'

'All I remember is being hit by a really big truck and then waking up here...' 

I couldn't tell him that I actually died and was then sent to this world. He'd think I was crazy. 

After a moment he handed the notebook back to me.

'Do you have any family that we might be able to contact?' He wrote.

'No, I don't have any family left...it's just me.' I answered before I began to feel sleepy again. 'Must be the pain medication that woman gave me.

Atsushi smiled at me and helped me lay back before bowing politely.

*Back to Atsushi*

Once Y/N was asleep again I went back into the office.

"What were you able to find out?" Kunikida asked, looking up from his paperwork.

"She remembers being hit by a large truck." 

"That would certainly explain her injuries...poor girl." Yosano sighed.

"I can't even imagine how much pain she must have been in." Dazai muttered 

"There's also one other problem...She has no family left. If she has an ability I think we should make her one of us."

======

This is my first X Reader fic so please be nice. Also I'm thinking of doing a series of BSD oneshots so if you have a request for a certain character and scenario I will try my best.