2

HAVAN FLORES

I pull a post-it note with my mom's writing on it off the fridge.

'I went out getting groceries, I won't take long. Love you - Mom'.

I turn around and see that Arden has already taken a seat on a chair. I run a hand through my hair. She looks at me with those beautiful big eyes.

Damn, she's cute.

What am I doing?! Stay calm Hava!

"Havan?" She says in that cute accent.

"Hmm? You can call me Hava, by the way."

She smiles and asks where my mom is.

"Oh, she's getting groceries, she'll be back soon."

Suddenly Bob Lee jumps on the kitchen counter. I pat him on the head. I walk up to Arden and take her suitcase in my hand.

"Come on, I'll show you your room. It's right next to mine." I say cheerfully.

She giggles and nods. She's a girl of few words. She probably needs to get used to being in an environment that is unprecedented for her. Well I would if I were in her place.

 Before her arrival, Dana and I had a sleepover and we might have looked her up on Instagram. Her pictures were amazing! What can I say, she is a beautiful girl. I think the others already figured that out because I was a little more excited to meet her. Just a little.

Her room is a little empty in case she wants to personalize it herself. So that it feels more like a home to her.

Arden sighs lightly and speaks up. "I like it."

I smile at her and take her hand after which I see her cheeks turn pink. I stop in front of the door to my room and look at her.

"If something is wrong you can always come to my room. Or if you're bored. That's where I usually am when I'm not at the studio." 

She looks around the room and stops at a poster. Her eyes sparkle.

"You like Girl In Red too!?" She shouts softly.

"Yeah, her music is great!"

Arden smiles widely. "Hava, I think we're going to be very good friends."

Friends.

Of course she just wants to be friends. Do I want more? What's wrong with me? I've only known this girl for an hour. 

"Hava, honey? Are you in your room? Is Arden here already?"

I smile and walk out of my room with Arden following right behind.

"We're here mom!" I yell

We meet my mother in the kitchen where she's placing bags on the floor. She gives one of her beautiful smiles in Arden's direction. Which she returns with a small wave.

"Hi, I'm Melissa. You're going to have a great time being here, we're fun people to be around."

I facepalm myself and groan. "Mom!"

The only thing she does is laugh. 

"Arden, why don't you go unpack? Havan will help, I just need a quick word with her."

She nods. "Sure, thank you for letting me stay here by the way."

"It's no problem dear. Hava's father is gone for his job and her sister is out of the house. We're happy to have you here. It does get lonely sometimes."

I swallow, thinking about my father being away with the army. My sister graduated two years ago and went to live on her own. It's just me and my mom. When Arden leaves for her new room, mom turns to me.

"She's a lovely girl." Wait, I know that tone. She gives one of her cheeky smiles and pokes me with her elbow. I look down with a big grin on my face.

"Alright, I know she is a beautiful girl."

Mom shakes her head and laughs. "My baby has a crush."

My head shoots up, eyebrows raised.

"I didn't say that."

I turn around and leave to go help Arden. As I turn the corner, arriving at the stairwell I hear my mother calling.

"You didn't have to! Your face said enough!"

Really mom? I swear to God this woman, she's lucky I love her. 

I want to thank you for reading my book, it really means a lot for me! I've been working on the next 4 chapters so I'm sorry it took me while to post this one. I hope you enjoyed it and please let me know what you think of this book. Love love love - Linden