12

HAVAN FLORES

Screams fill the dark room. The blinds are closed, the only light that illuminates her room is the light of my laptop. The aroma of buttered popcorn can be smelled from miles away. The sound of her chewing on it is the loudest noise I've ever heard, or maybe that's because I keep focusing on her instead of the movie. The feeling of her hiding behind my soft borrowed blanket is heartwarming.

She told me she isn't scared of anything but we're only half an hour in the movie and she keeps hiding behind me or the blanket. It's cute when she tries not to whine or scream when a jumpscare comes on screen.

Oh Arden, what are you doing to me? Please let me gather my thoughts. I can't do that when you're beside me like this...

Horror movies never really had an effect on me, I like scary things. But this feeling that craves inside of me, the feeling of not knowing what is going on with me, that question of who I am keeps me up at night. I don't like this kind of scary. I want to like her but I can't.

Even if I would confess all my feelings for her, I'd be scared of the consequences. The media. People are so quick to judge someone by their sexuality, style or interests.

I have already received a lot of criticism about how I dress. The question of whether I am a tomboy, a lesbian, if I'm straight, pansexual or bisexual.

The answer is, I don't know. People don't have the right to ask me that, to ask that to a minor. I don't like to give any answers to those questions, because I'm afraid to be laughed at.

Another scream erupts from Arden's lungs. She's wrapped up in the blanket now, trying to hide her face in my neck. She slowly looks up to me, showing off her big green eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just really hate ghosts." She whispers.

I laugh and pause the movie, turning all the way to her.

"What's so funny?" Arden pouts, playing with her fingers.

Another giggle escaped my mouth as I pulled her towards me. She grabs my hands and fidgets with my rings. The corners of my mouth tugging up in a smile.

"Nothing." I whisper.

Ah, you should know what goes on in my mind, Arden

"Why did I agree to this again?" Her voice pitching at the end of her sentence.

Before I could respond, my phone dinged, just as Arden's. I received a message about being tagged in an Instagram Story of Mike. I click on the screen, a picture of the five of us laughing on set appears. He tagged the others too, he tagged Arden. This means she's out to the world. Now people can see what this girl can do, how talented she is. She deserves it.

"Hey, Mike tagged me. Oh god, people can see who I am. What if they don't like me? Was this the right thing to do?"

Arden starts freaking out a little bit. I reach out and hold her shoulders, making her look at me.

"Hey, hey. Calm down. I know this is all a bit much. Yes your life has changed now and people will love you for who you are. Okay you should be warned that some people are not going to completely like you but that's life. I know that after the episode will drop that nothing's going to be the same for you anymore. I know that because I went through it too. But I promise you everything will be alright, they will love you, and if some don't then they're just jealous 'cause they want to be you."

My encouragement looks like it helped, I feel her shoulders relax. A pout forms on her lips.

"I'm freaking out already but nothing has even happened. I just think I'm a bit shaken up by this big change. I was just a girl from Squamish and now I'm in one of Nickelodeon's newest shows."

I sigh and pull her closer to me giving her a comforting hug.

Yes, I know, I know. Havan you're only making this harder on yourself. But I- she needed it.

She sits back and grabs the bowl with popcorn again. Throwing one at me. I gasp and grab a whole hand full of popcorn, pretending to throw it back at her. She shrieks and ducks under the blanket. After she notices that I didn't throw any, she pulls the blanket back off of her. Arden gives me a confused but relieved look.

"What? You think I'm gonna waste this heavenly popcorn? Nah, never. I love food."

She giggles. I put my leg between hers as we sit across from each other. I press the button, starting the movie again.

"Oh by the way, you should probably silence your notifications from now on."

WOMEN |H.F|जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें