eighteen: code names

"Why did you help me?" Jisung asked as Iseul put a bandaid on the cut near his lip.

The girl meets his eyes for only a moment but she can see the pure curiousity and obliviousness in them.
"Because, I wanted to."

"But, why would you want to? Aren't we enemies?"

"You may see me that way but, I don't see you the same," Iseul replies. "Besides, it's what we all should be doing- helping each other."

"Really?" Jisung queried again, his tone high and chirpy- in a way where he seemed excited at a new founding.

Iseul puts away the box of first aid kit back onto the shelf. On contrary to his past impressions on her and how he usually acts, Jisung is actually quite... blank and innocent.

Like someone who's seen the world around for the first time.

He's gentle.

"I'm going back to class. See you... when I see you," she said and exited the infirmary to return to class.

Aera snaps her fingers in front of Iseul. "What are you thinking about to be so distracted?"

"Clues," Iseul shortly replies. "I'm done with lunch. I'm leaving first."

"Wait, where are you going??" Nari asks as Iseul walks away without another look behind.

It's lunch hour so almost all students would be at the cafeteria, leaving the corridors and classrooms empty.

Iseul walks through, her footsteps echoing by only the slightest despite the vast emptiness until she suddenly, stops.

TACK!

Her ballpen stabs the styrofoam of the faraway notice board, merely less than an inch away from Jeno's ear.

He grins and pulls it off, tossing it to her as he nears. "I see your instincts are still intact."

"I say the same for yours," she snaps, cold. "It's no wonder you knew so much. You're in the same situation as I am, aren't you?"

Jeno stops right in front of her, a hand's length gap between them. "Oh, what ever do you mean? Would you enlighten me?"

His feign act of ignorance vexes her but she's skilled at concealing it.

"Oh, so you don't know. I must be mistaken, then. Let's pretend this never happened," Iseul says and his subtle raise of brows shows his surprise at her unexpected response.

Did he expect her to be more persistent?

But his still expression that shifts to one of haughty confidence, a cocky smirk stretched while sharp eyes gleam with mischief.
"Command received, Athena."

Iseul's lips twitch and within a swipe, she has him pinned against the wall- arm pressed on his chest and the pen's point put near his neck.
"How do you know of that term?"

"She's a Greek god, no? I thought she matches yoㅡ"

"Shut up and tell me the truth! Why are you always hovering around me? Who are you??" She puts pressure and he can feel his breaths being restricted.

But he manages to adapt to it and breathe as usual. Training has made sure that they would be able to function anywhere and anytime.

"Because, I too was a trained member who managed to run away when they began to shut down the organization," Jeno answers and Iseul doesn't react since that part is obvious.

What she wants to know is how he knows the code name she was given during fight training. The only ones who know were her teammates which was very small because it contained only what they call 'elite' members.

And in that team, no one was around her age exceptㅡ

"Xander."

Iseul's train of thought cuts off at the name he speaks and her piercing glare before softens to surprise.

She can't control her mien anymore and it seems like it's the same for Jeno whose arrogant smirk shifts to a bittersweet smile- his eyes carrying a swirl of sentiments but relief and longing outshine the others.

"I'm Xander," Jeno says and Iseul gasps, taking steps back as her arm limps.

But just as she's about to part, Jeno reaches out and palms her cheek, thumb gently caressing her under eye like one does to another when they cry.

The twinkle in his eyes igniting and his grin widening as it turns warm.

"I've missed you, Iseul."