twenty-four: crybaby

Splash!

  "Wakey-wakey, crybaby," Nari sings with a light tune and the young, undercover recruit awakes with her heart smashing against its cage from shock.

  The sharp, cold water slap awakes her completely and Nari smiles with her eyes, putting the basin down.

  "Leaving out the formalities because I don't care who the fuxk you are, I want you to tell me what exactly your mission is," she states directly but the 'crybaby' only glares as she pants, steadying her breaths.
"Still not talking?"

  The hostage's silence answers her question and Nari's grin tilts to a smirk. Her chin raising and half-lidded eyes looking down at the figure tied to a metal pole.

  "I suggest you speak now- before I bring Jisung out," she warns and head slightly drops teasingly to the side. "Three seconds."

  She raises three fingers, slowly putting down one by one as she counts.
"3, 2ㅡ"

  "I don't know!" Crybaby suddenly blurts and the other frowns at her sincere expression of worry and surrender.
  "They just told me to bring Xander and Athena but that was it! All they gave was the tranquilizer set along with the school uniform as an undercover fit. But the details of what they plan to do with the targets if I were to succeed, they never disclosed to me!"

  Quietly, Nari studies the girl's face and hums after seeing no hint of dishonesty within the distress.
"Alright. I believe you."

  "Then, can I go now?"

  A dark chuckle reverberates around the small metal room that strangely appears similar to a tank with its single glass window and Crybaby looks around frantically for the source of the voice that sends shivers down her spine.

  "For someone who works for that wretched, supposedly 'elite' organisation, you sure ask dumb questions," Jeno speaks through the mic and approaches, standing beyond the glass window. Lips pulled to a smug half-moon smile, eyes keen on her like a snake towards its prey and veiny arms crossed tightly against his chest.

  His white, body fit shirt's buttons having to hold on to dear life as his chest expands from his pose.

  He clears his throat and talks again. "I hope your answers aren't as useless."

  Crybaby gulps.

  "Where is your base?"

  Her eyes widen. This, she obviously knows but if she tells then... both she and the organisation will be ruined.

  She shakes her head vigorously and the smug mien on Jeno turns grim and vicious, jaw tightening from vexation- you could see the bones of his neck.

  "I won't ask you for a third time so tell me, where.is.your.fuxking.base?" He hisses at the end, mimicking more of a snake and if only the hostage wasn't tied tight, she's sure she would've crumbled.

  She gulps. "I-It's where it's a-always been."

  Nari's brow arches. Just a few moments ago, Crybaby was all tough and laid-back.

  Jeno furrows and brings the mic closer. "They built it back up, at the same place?"

  Crybaby nods. "Th-they thought you and Athena would r-return one day."

  A bitter scoff emits and he combs his hair back, lips stretching again to a smirk of disbelief. "Well, they're right about that."

  Footsteps are heard approaching and their focus turns to Iseul who now stands beside him.

  The look of confusion from Jeno's face is evident on the hostage's face as she shifts her focus between the duo.

  Iseul smiles and looks at Jeno from the glass' reflection. "Well, sort of."

  As the two retreat, so does Nari to the door with a grin of mischief and hands behind her back. "This is where we part, Crybaby, but don't be sad. I left you in this special aquarium, after all."

  Question marks float above the other's head and Nari gestures to the roof.

  A fearful gasp sounds and lips trembled at the giant pool of water separated from her only by a glass ceiling.

  "That pole can detect vigorous or suspicious movements so try to escape-" Nari tilts her head slightly to the water. "All that will come pouring down and drown you. So be a good girl and stay still, hm?"

  The captured one breathes raggedly from the unrest and Nari scoffs before exiting.