twenty-five: changing strategies

A few days later.

  "Are you sure we should just let her go?" Mark asks worriedly and Jeno nods.

  "Let her tell the bosses herself that she failed her mission."

  Jisung furrows slightly, unable to ignore the gnawing anxiety. "But what if they come back for revenge?"

  A cereal box is put on his head and he glares at the perpetrator when it falls onto his lap.

  "They're not childish like you. Obviously Jeno's got it all figured out. He won't just let her waltz in there knowing the risk that they'll strike us," Donghyuck says casually as he takes in a spoonful of milk and cereal.

  Iseul nods. At this point, the boys' place has become some sort of headquarters for them.
"Besides, whether we let her go or keep her hostage, they'll still know that she failed because she didn't return.
  "So if they were planning on revenge, they would've done it earlier. Although in all honesty, revenge has never really been their thing."

  Her childhood friend and lifelong partner agrees. "They tend to like to finish the job quickly and quietly. so they'll most likely attack when they think they're all ready to take us on. The girl they sent was purely just a test- basically, she became their guinea pig."

  Mark sighs and leans his head again the couch with shut eyes. "Ahh, this is tiring. And this place was just getting fun. Should we start searching for a place now?"

  They all frown at the idea. Packing and leaving, it's the same as running away. But they can't risk getting themselves and each other hurt.

  "Yeah...maybe it's for the best. We got away with it for now but sooner or later, we can't ignore the fact that we're heavily outnumbered. There's only so far we can go by holding up our defences," Renjun concludes and Jaemin bobs his head in agreement.

  But one voice strongly refutes.

  "We're not going to leave any time soon," Jeno declares and they all turn to him who stands leaning against the wall with veiny arms crossed tight against his wide chest.

  His dark brows narrowed and intimidating eyes pierce through them with passion and determination- an unfaltering pose and mien.

  "You say there's only so far we can go with defenses, right?" Jeno repeats Renjun's words and looks at him, receiving a confused nod in return. The younger grins.
"Then, why don't we go on offence?"