nineteen: back story

It wasn't that difficult to explain to the rest about Jeno and Iseul's story.

  In summary, the two of them were orphans and they were chosen to be a part of a small confidential organization where both adults and children were trained to become skillful fighters.

  It was like a study project, a test whether stronger humans were able to made for war through tedious training. 

  So, it was far from easy. Those who met the standards were kept and put in grades or ranks based on their abilities. Those who didn't were put six feet under to ensure no word of this 'project' would escape.

  There weren't many children in the first place and plenty of the ones who were there couldn't meet the expectations of the 'bosses' thus, they were eliminated.

  Until only two children remained and they were, as we all already know, Jeno and Iseul.

  They were put in one of the highest ranks and it was fortunate because only few were able to and therefore, they didn't have to mingle with anyone. But the con is that, the more skillful they were, the more pressure they were given.

  And as time went, they were no longer trained as fighters, but as killing machines. And they didn't want that. Those in their division shared the same opinion, managed to convince the rest and so they decided to rebel.

  It happened quick, within mere hours- they started a fire, fought through the guards and security and victory was looking upon them.

  But there was a setback, a betrayer.

  Their plans were known since the beginning and due to the 'killing machines' that were getting out of control from the desperation and wrath, the backup securities were told to shoot everyone and everything.

  Considering it was a small organization, everyone perished within a blink- buildings burned down, pools of blood all around and torpid, broken bodies scattered.

  Those who managed to escape the grounds were chased and killed before they could pass through the gates but they missed two members- Jeno and Iseul.

  They were small and light, it was easy for them to hide and flee and fortunately for them too, humans are born with a natural compassion and empathy for young children, especially those that seemed to be in need of help.

  Unfortunately for them, they were separated. The chaos pulled them apart and finding each other was a death wish.

  Jeno was then, brought in by Mark's father, a kind and rich man who didn't once judged him for his origins.

  Iseul was taken care of by a lovely grandmother who wasn't the most wealthy but had enough. She was alone and the sight of an injured little girl broke her and she opened her home.

  However, even after finding their own homes, little Jeno and Iseul couldn't forget about each other so, they tried their best to find one another- which then, lead to them finding other unfortunate children.

  Like, how Jeno found Jisung in an abusive home that treated him like a slave, that only allowed him to do things when he was ordered to.

  And how Iseul found Nari and Aera who were put in an underground club as 'fun products.' 

  But even after finding many others, they still couldn't find each other. After all, they were trained not to leave any traces.

  Years passed by with them not knowing whether the other is actually alive or not until, they reunited in high school.