𝟔

CINDY

Every Wednesday, school lets out early. Sometimes it's for meetings with staff, other times it's just because half the people here are ancient and need sufficient sleep if they don't want to drop dead in the middle of a lesson.

Today it seems these people just want to live a little longer than the doctor told them they'd be living.

God, it's such a beautiful day outside. If Mom wasn't pregnant right now, I'd set up a picnic for everyone. But unfortunately, Dad's still playing nurse. Poor Mom.

Tommy's at the house. Probably streaming, because let's face it... what else does he do?

Is that messed up to say? Oh, well. I can say that. It's not like it's a terrible thing. It just means that he's driven when it comes to his job. Plus, I'm marrying the guy.

Speaking of, I'm meeting up with Hope to debate what the hell I'm doing for flowers at the wedding. If I didn't have a wedding planner as a friend, my entire life would be full of misdirection. Hope Sinclair is like my personal walking GPS.

We've had our weddings planned since elementary school, but somewhere along the way, my taste had changed. What are the odds of that?

See, in my diary from back then, I have flowers such as roses and buttercups written as options. As developments go, I'm allergic to buttercups and I think roses are ugly.

I'm not sure how I'm allergic to only buttercups, but rumor has it that I was cursed as a baby. At least that's what Mom says. Who knows, though. We're also talking about the same woman who is forty-three and pregnant. She's crazy.

Love you, Mom.

How did I go from wedding to pregnant lady? Oh, gosh. I desperately need coffee.

As if on cue, I spot Hope looking around like an idiot with one hand on the handle of the stroller she's steering around. In the cupholders are two coffees. Hallelujah.

I call her name, and as her eyes land on me, relief floods her features. See, at this point, I'm convinced she only hangs out with me because me and Aaliyah are calmest around each other. It's a win for Hope.

It's not like I'm complaining. You don't become a teacher if you hate kids.

Aaliyah is Hope's daughter, my goddaughter.

Anyway, don't quote me on that on that part about all teachers loving kids. Some of my teachers in high school were brutal.

Bleh, not the point. What I'm getting at is that I like kids. I always have, and Aaliyah is like my pre-baby. Like my little practice test? I don't know. But I do know I can be an awesome babysitter. Ask anyone.

Anyone but my fiancé. I think he hates kids at this point.

Tommy wants to wait a few more years before even thinking about kids, but I'm so ready. Sure, the thought of pregnancy terrifies me, but the kid part is appealing enough tto go through with it.

It's a deep, dark secret of mine, but... I've had baby fever since I was like eleven. Maybe even before that.

Not like I wanted to be pregnant before I got to middle school. But I was the only girl other than Mom growing up. I've never been close with my female cousins, and after finally realizing I'd never get the little sister I always wanted, I came to terms with the fact that I would just have to wait and get things done myself.

Look at my mom now—popping out a fucking child fifteen years too late.

"Oh, thank God." Hope lets put a breath, bringing me back to earth.