𝟒𝟕

LEVIN

Saul shakes his head, tossing me a pen to sign the last of my paperwork. 

"Fuck, man. I can't believe you're retiring already."

I can only shrug and smile sheepishly. What do I say to that? "Haha! Me neither!!" But I've literally been waiting impatiently for a good reason to retire for years. Now, I have a good reason. In fact... I have two.

I have to bite my tongue because just thinking about getting back to my girl and my son makes me want to giggle like a schoolgirl. Pathetic? Maybe. True? Absolutely.

"Did you think I was joking?"

He leans back in the desk chair across the table from me. "You hadn't talked about it in a while, so I just thought you changed your mind. I mean... you've got a good four to five years left in you, no?"

I snort. Yeah right.

He groans. "Do I have to beg you to stay? O'Connor—bless his heart—is fucking terrible, man. Don't make me play with him next season."

"You could always retire, too..." I trail off, looking at him knowingly.

"I'm not like you, Lev. I can't just decide something like that. I have a wife to think about. And my mom... she's still in debt. Bad."

It's silent for a moment and then he forces that smile of his, shooting me a look. He opens his mouth to say something, but the loud ringing of my phone cuts him off.

Cindy's face flashes on my screen and I immediately answer. I mouth an apology to Saul, but he just shrugs and sits back in his seat. I know him well enough to not have to worry about saying something personal in front of him, so I don't leave the room.

"Hey, baby. I want just thinking about you."

Truthfully, I'm always thinking about her. Even when I'm not thinking.

"Hi. So was I... which is why I called you." It sounds like she's driving.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Well, I was going to Tommy's, but I changed my mind."

"Oh? What's going on with that? Did he want to see Sawyer? Do you have him with you?"

I hope she says yes. It hasn't even been that long since I last saw them both, but I miss them both like crazy. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm withdrawls or something. Especially right when I'm going to bed. It's gotten so bad in the last few days I've started daydreaming about changing dirty diapers. Who the fuck does that?

"No to those last two questions, and as for what's going on: Hope."

"Oh, no. What happened?"

"She was all like, 'Blah blah blah. I'm Hope! I know everything! You still love Tommy!' Bitch."

I snort. "Wow, okay. Way to drop a bomb."

"Sorry."

"Don't be. I'm just curious how that turned into you wanting to go see him?"