𝟑𝟖

LEVIN

Cindy hasn't talked to me all week. I leave for training tomorrow, and I was really hoping that we'd patch things up before I have to go, but it doesn't look like that's going to be happening.

I've gone to her house, her parents' house. I've tried calling and texting. Hell, I spent my whole morning parked outside her house, waiting for her to get sick of me and come yell at me to leave. But nope.

I feel fucking stupid, and I feel like she's being equally as stupid—if not more. I knew she could be stubborn, but this? Is this how it's going to be any time things don't go her way? Maybe it's a good thing—

God, what am I even saying? It's a terrible thing. Her being annoying isn't a dealbreaker. Nothing she could ever do would be enough to get me to just walk away from this. She's hurt that I didn't stay and probably thinks I deserve this kind of treatment. And I'm not saying I do deserve this, but... you know.

I'm used to being used just because of who I am, and what I do for work. So many people have tried taking advantage of me in the past, and I know my Cindy isn't like that, but there's obviously some shit I have to work through.

It all just came to the surface when I found out she told Alexa about how we weren't actually together in the beginning, but after this very long whole week of thinking about everything, I get it. It must've been lonely, not being able to talk about it with anyone. Not her friends or her family. There were definitely times I wanted to tell people. I never did, though, out of respect for my girlfriend and the promise we made. It just hurts to think she might not have taken it as seriously as I had.

Today's Madeline's birthday and I'm not going to let relationship drama affect my mood on my favorite niece's special day. No matter how much this thing with Cindy is killing me, I think I can play the fun uncle part well enough.

I got Mads her gift a few weeks back, and I'm a million percent sure she's going to love it. She's super into Barbies, and she's almost always complaining about how she doesn't have a dream house for her dolls. So, I bought the biggest, most expensive doll house for her in the most blinding shade of pink. Along with a few new dolls, and a pair of earrings I forgot to give her last Christmas.

Though I doubt she will, if she happens to hate everything, that may be my last straw. If even one person looks at me weirdly today, I'll start sobbing uncontrollably.

I pull into my sister's driveway around noon, and I can see the bright pink bouncy house almost as tall as her house. Somehow, I just know I'm going to be forced in there by the birthday girl at some point.

Once I get the gifts out of the car, I make my way up the porch and knock. The moment my mom opens the front door, her smile vanishes. She looks over my shoulder toward my car, then looks to see if anyone's sitting on the porch swing, and I know she's looking for my Cindy.

"Don't look so excited to see me, Ma," I mumble, pulling my lips into my mouth.

Her eyes go sad for me, and she pulls me in for a hug. I kind of hate that she's hugging me because Mom hugs do something to you when you're already not feeling great. This needs to end before I start sobbing and venting to my poor mother.

"Oh, baby. I'm so sorry."

I chuckle, pressing a kiss to her head as I pull away. It isn't like we're broken up or anything, we're just fighting. Oh, my God. We're fighting. Me and Cindy—fighting.

"We're fine, Mom. She's just been busy." I try to assure her.

She obviously doesn't believe shit I'm saying. School isn't in right now and my girlfriend being a teacher means she isn't working, and she's so pregnant that she can barely walk ten steps without complaining. There's not much she can be busy with.