𝟏𝟔

CINDY

School is out starting next week, so I've been working my ass off to get my kids ready for finals.

I forget how hard this can be, how crazy the kids get when they think they can't possibly get in trouble at the end of the school year.

God, I'm just glad I'm not teaching summer school this year. That's the worst of the worst. It's like trying to teach inanimate objects. I'd rather die.

Anyway, my slaving away has postponed Levin and I talking about the terms of our soon-to-be agreement.

Hope is basically shoving ideas for gender reveals and baby showers up my ass, but I'm not interested in any of that. I'm meant to be having dinner with Tommy and his family next week, and I have to visit my parents some time this week too.

I've never been so overwhelmed in my whole life. It doesn't sound like much, but when I'm still trying to fit in some me-time, it feels like too much.

And I still need help setting up the friggin' crib that's sitting in what used to be one of my guest rooms. I had Dad paint the room for me, and now that it's dried, I'm ready to decorate.

I just want to handle the baby's room before it exits my body. I don't need that extra pressure on me to get it done.

Also, handling the baby clothes that's literally and metaphorically being thrown at my face is hell. How do people do this and keep their sanity?

"Are we done?" I ask Ben, fixing my bra strap. "I can't keep doing this. My back hurts."

"Woman up." He tells me, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, Cindy. Your baby is going to come home with his weenie uncovered. Is that what you want? A naked baby?"

I groan loud enough to get the attention of several people in this little place.

Why would I ever invite them to come with me? I just needed to buy the baby some socks and a coming home outfit, not all of this extra crap. Extra crap I'm refusing to pay for, by the way. These onesies are their gifts to my son.

"I can order clothes for him. Just let me go home."

"Shut up and sit down. Benny, take her to sit in the back. She can look at the blankets they have back there while she... recovers, or whatever." She says that last part a little distantly, looking through a selection of pajamas. "Hey, Ben? When do you think you guys are going to have a baby? And do you want a boy or girl? This little thing right here is adorable."

I'm going to run her over before she gets in my car later.

Before I sit down, I shove all the clothes I was given into Ben's arms.

"Up until five seconds ago, I thought the way she was acting, but now she's just being crazy."

I smile at him. "You should have seen her when we went shopping for the paint."

His jaw basically fell to the floor. I know. Taking her anywhere is a mistake.

"Why would you take her with you?"

I take her with me because, even though she's being insane, she's still the one who had a kid first. And with Mom so busy with Eryn, she's the only help.

Anyway, she's having fun. My back might be on fire, but she's reliving her (alleged) favorite times she had with Aaliyah.

"Because I love her."

"Jeez. That was your first mistake." He jokes.

I narrow my eyes at him, hitting his knee with mine. What a menace.