𝟒𝟑

CINDY

It's about six in the morning when my mom calls me, waking both me and my beautiful boyfriend. Except Levin tries to go back to bed while I actually have to answer the phone and speak to another human being.

"Hello?" I answer groggily.

"Please tell me you're not asleep still, Cindy."

"Not anymore."

God, this phone call is already giving me flashbacks to high school when my parents would call me from work to make sure I was up early for school. I thought I was past this. But apparently, being in my mid-twenties with my own house and soon my own child doesn't entitle me to beautyrest like I imagined it would at thirteen.

"Cindy! We're taking pictures today!"

Pictures? Is it someone's birthday? Is one of my cousins getting married? I'm so fucking confused. The last time I was awake this early was... I can't even think. As far as I'm concerned, it was never ago.

"Huh? Pictures for what?"

"The little maternity shoot! Now, hurry and get up, we have to be there by seven. Do you need a ride or can you drive?"

"Um... I really can't do this today, Mom. Maybe another day? Preferably not at the ass crack of dawn, please?"

"You're getting too close to your due date, baby. We gotta do it today. Marley is booked for the rest of the month, she can only do this for us today."

"Marley?"

"Uh-huh..."

"I thought she broke up with Dahlian?"

"Yeah, well, she broke up with your brother. Not me." I can practically hear her tapping her foot. "So, are you coming?"

"I... Fuck." I groan as I sit up, rubbing my hand down my face. "Sure. What's the address?"

"Just come to the house. And wear something white, please."

"All right. Love you."

"I love you. Thank you, honey. See you in a bit."

"Mm-hmm."  

I feel Levin tossing and turning next to me, and then a moment later, he sits up too. I look over at him and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. The bathroom door was left open last night and... dear God. He loves me and I look like this in the morning?

He smiles sleepily, leaning in to kiss me once on the lips.

"You look so sexy in the morning." I tell him, pushing hair out of his face. "I look like fucking Buddy Pine and Rick Sanches's love child."

He tilts his head at me, obviously entertained. "Who?"

"Incredibles? Rick and Morty...?"

My boyfriend blinks at me, shaking his head like he has no idea what I'm talking about, but I know he's messing with me. We've watched both together on numerous occasions. It's too early for our games, so I wave my hand dismissively and get out of bed.

Once I've done my makeup and I'm dressed, I ask Levin if he wants to be in the pictures, and he says:

"Of course, I do. That's our baby, now."

Then, I tell him he needs to match me, trying to hide my smile because being moody in the morning is a personality trait of mine. Him being cute shouldn't change or disrupt that.