𝟐𝟕

CINDY

"I'm too casual." I try to tell Levin, but he keeps ushering me toward his car.

"Trust me, you're not."

I know he's talking more so about the way I'm acting, not the way I'm dressed. Not that that would help his case at all. I still glare at him from over my shoulder.

He grunts softly as he lifts me up and helps me in the monster that he drives.

Usually, I'd be inclined to comment about how he straight up grunted and thinks I'm fat, but I'm too focused on how much I want to change to be bothered.

I met Tommy's parents in high school, when I doubted things would ever be too serious. I was so excited to have a boyfriend to care about how long we'd be together.

Meeting your boyfriendy person's parents is so different. I'm not sixteen anymore. In fact, I'm a grown ass woman which just means Levin's family will most likely be expecting someone mature and poised.

I'm in my mid-twenties, and while that isn't saggy-titty old, I'm old enough to be recognized as somewhat of an adult. But I'm going to make jokes about my now pebble-sized bladder and ruin dinner with my fat pregnant ass.

"Levin, maybe we just do this another day! You know I was feeling tired, right? I told you."

He gestures toward my seatbelt, watching as I fasten it.

"Mm-hmm. You texted me. You know you took a nap, right?"

I frown at how terrible his impression of me is. If he's gonna mock me, he can at least pop a hip or something. His performance there just straight up lacked sparkle.

"Stop it. I'm being serious."

He smiles all sweet at me, squeezing my knee and then kissing it as he moves to close my door.

"It's going to be okay, all right? My mom is going to load you up on pregnancy tips and easy craving-satisfying recipes, my dad is going to compliment your nails and pretend he knows anything about how doing them works, my sisters are going to basically jump you and won't stop touching you, and my brother is going to show you a bunch of his sick skateboard trips. And I'll be sad all night that I don't get you all to myself. But while I'm sulking, you'll be having the time of your life. I promise."

That all sounds great. It does. But I've never been a pregnant girlfriend before. Well, I have, but that time doesn't count. My son isn't Levin's kid, and he's about to pop out and I'm meeting Levin's parents, and my grandma hates that I'm not with Tommy anymore. Tommy's mom was a word away from a bitch-slap last time I saw her.

How would his family react to all of me and my kid?

"Promise, promise?"

"Promise, promise. All buckled in?"

I nod and he leans up to kiss me before shutting my door.

My eyes follow him as he walk over to the driver's side.

I really hope he's right, that his family will at least pretend to tolerate me until I inevitabley almost pee myself. His family is obviously everything to him, and if they don't like me, I know I'll be done with.

❄︎❄︎❄︎

Levin's holding my hand extra tight as we walk up to his parents' front door.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting his childhood home to look like, but in my head, I'd pictured some huge house to fit all fifty of his siblings.