𝟏𝟒

LEVIN

I tap away at the keyboard on my phone like a maniac in an attempt to calm down not only my manager but also my fucking agent. Kill me now.

Thank God my mom hasn't gotten word of this or she'd be here telling me that she'd fix everything for me. And as much as I'd love that, she's turning fifty-three at the end of the year, Fifty-three year old woman with a bad back and an attitude can only mean trouble.

With a groan, I shut off my phone and pocket it.

Cindy told me it would be fine if I came to her instead of the other way around. Something about not wanting to leave her house and not wanting to invade my space. It was sweet, how she said it.

I lock my car and make way to her front door.

Her house is a single story, white house with a light-light blue door. The two thin windows on either side of the door are covered by curtains on the other side. The rest of the windows allow sunlight into the house.

There are plants and flowers, shoes left by the door, a blanket on a dusty porch swing. It's pretty. It's simple, and I envy that I'm not the one living here.

Maybe it's ungrateful. I have a big house, more space than I know what to do with. I shouldn't be—

Before I even knock, the door swings open to reveal Cindy.

She's wearing these cute little overalls with a red T-shirt underneath. It's the cutest thing I've seen in a long time.

I smile at her smile. "Hi."

"Hey. Come in."

So, I do.

The inside of her house is nothing special, but I find myself gasping like she's just led me to the most amazing thing the world has to offer.

She has plants almost everywhere, and the space is cluttered. It isn't messy or super neat, but it's like she discovered the perfect balance to keep this specific look going on.

There are more pillows and blankets on her couch than on any other person's couch, she's got nail polish bottles on the coffee table and a stack of papers beside a folder, she's got folded clothes on the couch.

"I want to live here. This is great." I say absentmindedly.

Cindy lets out this little laugh that's so uniquely hers, and it takes me a second to remember why I'm here.

"Thank you. Do you want something to drink?"

"No, thanks."

"All right."

I follow her to the couch and take a seat.

I'm still turning my head to take everything in when she laughs.

"You want a house tour?"

"Huh?" I turn to look at her, distracted by my surroundings. I feel like a little kid who doesn't get out of the house for anything but school. "No, sorry. Sorry."

"It's fine." She laughs, pulling her legs up onto the couch.

I have no idea where I'm meant to start. How do you bring this up to someone? Someone new, and someone you're beginning to see as a friend. Shit.

"So... You've seen the stuff going around, obviously. About us."

God, why am I being awkward? This isn't that big of a deal. I can do this.

She shrugs. "I've been keeping a close eye on it, I guess. It's weird being on the inside looking out instead of the other way around."

"Yeah." I agree. "It's gotten, like, really big."