Chapter 3: Remembrance

Chapter 3 - Remembrance

Standing in the hallway of UA High, Emiko winced. Emotions ran rampant here, each student chattered and laughed and clustered together in groups. Hundreds of different feelings mixed together and moulded into one unbearable cacophony that rang in her ears. She stumbled through the hallways, passing by excited students chattering wildly.

Please, quiet. Shh.

She struggled to maintain her grip on her emotions, and on her quirk. Pain blossomed behind her eyes and she could feel her own control slowly slipping. She bolted towards a large door in the hall that had been left slightly ajar. She slipped through it and rested her back against the solid wood, heaving a deep sigh as she was finally freed from the overbearing emotions of those in the hall.

"Can I help you?" a male voice called, startling Emiko as she swung her weary gaze up. Standing above her was a purple haired male with tired eyes.

"No, sorry." She mumbled, standing up with some difficulty. "I just needed to get away for a minute." She moved her hand towards the door handle, making to leave the room she now realized was a classroom. Luckily, it was empty, save for the wild haired boy and herself.

"Are you okay?" He asked, stepping out of her personal space as if he could sense her anxiety. She could only nod as tears formed in her eyes.

"I'm fine."

He scoffed, "Don't look fine."

"I said I'm fine." She scowled, folding her arms irritatedly over her chest.

"Whatever you say..." he trailed off, waiting for her to introduce herself.

"Emiko. Names Emiko Komatsu." She grinned, reaching her palm out to the purple haired boy.

"Hitoshi Shinsou. Nice to meet you."

Emiko grinned brightly and stepped towards an empty desk.

"Is it okay if I stay here for a moment? I still need to decompress from all of the chaos out there." She grinned sheepishly, settling herself into the wooden seat.

"Sure, it doesn't matter to me. Do you want company?"

Emiko could think fondly back to the first time she'd ever met Shinso, sitting in that room so completely full of panic she thought she may lose control right there in the middle of the school. Since that very first day, he'd been there. Despite his seemingly constant irritation with her and his no nonsense attitude, Shinso had stood by her side. He'd trained with her, showing her first hand how his Brainwashing quirk worked.

He'd helped guide her out of panic attacks and complete meltdowns. He'd held her close as she sobbed while telling the story of her fathers disappearance. Shinso hadn't even flinched as Emiko showed him the scars that littered her body. He'd only sighed and looked at her with a worried gaze, squeezing her hand slightly.

"I'm sorry this happened to you, Emiko. You didn't deserve to be hurt this way." He'd sighed, crinkling his brow as she sniffled.

"You're a truly good person and you deserve only the best."

In short, Shinso had quickly grown to be one of the most important people in Emiko's life. He was one of the only people who knew her completely - the only person she'd ever told the story of her father. He'd been the first person she'd called after the USJ attack, though she'd had to hold details back from him.