Chapter 21 - Hot Springs

She could feel the heat from the natural hot springs before either she or Kyouka stepped beyond the wooden door. The girls grinned at each other, sprinting the final few steps to the small-scale building only a few hundred feet ahead of them.

"Why are you running?!" A masculine voice called, and Emiko skidded to a stop. She turned, making a slightly goofy face as she came into eye contact range of her class rep. "This isn't very becoming of either of you!" He chastised, flinging his arms wildly through the air.

"Sir, yes sir." Emiko teased, lifting her hands in a mock salute.

Iida only sighed, rubbing a hand roughly over his face, reaching his thumb and fingers up to momentarily massage his temples. "Just... walk the rest of the way there, please."

Laughing, Emiko nodded. She grabbed onto Jirou's arm, tugging her along behind her as they moved quickly into the building.

As soon as the girls were into the shower room, they both burst out into loud laughter, collapsing against the door in a giggling pile.

"What's so funny?" Mina questioned, standing bare in the center of the room.

Emiko filled the gathered girls in, thankful for the distraction Iida had provided her from her earlier frustrations and fear.

They all laughed together, allowing some warmth to permeate the coldness Emiko felt gathering around her heart.

Smiling softly to herself, she wrapped her towel around her body. She was careful to hide her scar as much as possible, because she knew she wouldn't be able to explain it away to everyone. Kyouka knew, and that was already dangerous enough. Her scar, the knotted, mangled spot on her ribs was a sure fire way to bring attention to memories she'd rather keep hidden, at least for tonight.

Perhaps one day she'd be comfortable enough to tell everyone the story - to divulge her deepest secrets. But, for now at least, she held that pain close to her chest. She clung to it like a comfort blanket, let those raw aching edges be soothed as she stepped into the warm water.

She settled into the warmth, allowing the steam rising up from the glass-like surface to cleanse the grime from her skin. She folded her towel up behind her, leaning her head back against the soft fabric. Her hair hung loosely around her shoulders, the lower half sinking into the water.

She sighed, sinking lower into the water. Just sitting there, letting the warmth loosen the tightness in her muscles and the anxiety that had been festering since Jirou had seen the scar.

How could you be such an idiot, Miko?

She wanted to argue the voice in her head, because of course she hadn't meant for anyone to see her injury - of course she hadn't meant to let anyone know what happened or just how fucked up she was about it.

"Hey, Miko!"

She opened her eyes, brushing a hand over her face as she did. "What's up, Mina?"

Grinning brightly at her, her pink haired friend burst out of the water. "How was your internship with Endeavour? You haven't spilled any details!"

Emiko chuckled, "I mean, honestly?"

All her friends nodded excitedly, no doubt excited at the gossip Emiko may have to share with them.

"It was a little underwhelming, if I'm honest?"

The mood shifted, swirling into confusion and disbelief.

"Listen, I'm super thankful. Like, I got to intern with the number 2 hero and that's great! I got to work with Burnin' and she's one of the funniest people I know -"