5. Tit for tat

Jacob adjusted his pale yellow tie and buttoned his waist coat, giving himself one last look in the small mirror before checking his gun and knives. "Ready as you'll ever be lad" he shook his head, pulling his suite jacket on "into the lions den we go." He walked down the creaky wooden steps.
"Well don't you look the part" Gran smiled
"As do you. Where are you going all dressed up, Gran, got yourself a hot date have ya?"
"Behave yourself." She whooped his backside with a rolled up tea towel. "Young Harrison isn't feeling too good, sent him back to bed. Besides. You really think bringing him to woo the little lass to taunt Barnes with is a good idea. You are so like your grandfather sometimes. Full of ideas that cause trouble."
"Sorry. She got it out of me." Racheal whined
"and this is why I don't tell you nothing!" He laughed kissing his sisters head "you good to oversee the deliveries this afternoon? Larry will be there to give you a hand. Any trouble..."
"I can handle myself. It will be fine. I'll drop Betty by Aunt Edna's for you on my way."

"Now you old coot." He turned to his Gran "what you up to."
"You have business at the boxing." She pointed "I may be old but I'm not daft. Now, you're not leaving that young lass alone while you do your thing, nor are you bringing her into it. Whatever her name, whoever her father, that young lass is risking her life for you. If her father ever finds out she lied for you, over her brothers death none the less, you'll find her body in the river. She may not think you owe her anything but you do."
"I know. Alright. Come on then Gran. You can keep miss Barnes company. You wearing lippy and perfume? You sure you ain't got a new fella, Gran? I need to meet him, make sure he's good enough and make sure he's respectable...not like the last one."
"Oi! I told you to behave." She tutted smiling at her grandson "yes I'm armed before you ask you daft sod." She picked up her bag. "Life in this old dog yet. Your grandfather and I used to run this place you know"
"Oh I know" he smirked at his sister and brothers knowing he was going to have his ear bent off about the good old days, on the drive to pick up his guest for the evening.

Jacob pulled up outside a lavish estate, looking it over, he couldn't help but feel jealous. His damp mouldy room compared to this was a stark comparison. Even their old house that they'd lost, wasn't anything compared to what his rival had.
"Hey now, a house with no heart is no home, Jacob. It's just bricks and mortar."
"You're right, Gran. As always. If dad hadn't have screwed us over....twice...."
"You've worked blooming hard since you got back to rebuild the businesses again for a second time, from nothing. We tried our best while you boys were away. We ticked things over but..."
"You all did a grand job. Like I say. If that fool hadn't have resurfaced and screwed us all over we would have been in a better position to start with, we wouldn't have lost the house and be back in the slums, we'd have had all this. He sold us out and left us in the squaller for a better life without us. Twice! Mum was never the same."

"Your mum was a tuff old bird but he broke her heart, Jake. Twice over. You're better off without him."
"You can say that again. That bastard shows his face round these parts again, he'll meet the man the boy he left behind became. I should have gone with my gut and thrown him out with the bath water. My guts never wrong."
"You were fighting your own demons and he used Monty's death to get a foot back in the door with you and your mum. He's my son but boy oh boy if I get my hands on that double crossing toerag he'll wish he wasn't. If your grandfather was alive..."
"Probably for the best that he didn't see who his son turned out to be, eh Gran." He kissed her head
"You're your grandfathers boy not your fathers, you remember that, Jacob. You, Monty, Danny and your grandfather raised that wordless roaches children for him. You were a boy the first time he left, you lost your childhood. Broke my heart to see you working your fingers to the bone at that age, just to put food on the table. Now let us find out what we can about Richard's daughter, have to say, she was a surprise."
"Ain't she just."

"Right on time, Jacob" Richard Barnes stepped out with a cigar hanging out of his mouth "hurry up girl!" He called back inside the house "women" he rolled his eyes. "She's upset about her brother. Emotional. you know how women are."
"I would imagine she would be. Any closer to finding out who did it?"
"He'll hang next week" Richard said bluntly "three of the lads that set upon my Yvonne have also been dealt with. One to go. You hear anything on his whereabouts...."
"Rivalry aside, on my honour I will have word sent to you. I have sisters, aunts, I don't want scum like that free roaming the streets." Jacob nodded "miss Barnes you look lovely" he greeted the small girl stepping out, arguing with three of her brothers who were all glaring at Jacob.
"I know!" She hissed at her brothers "I'm not a little girl!"
"Boys. We discussed this." Richard Barnes barked "midnight" he turned to Jacob "truce ends at midnight. I expect her to be returned...in one piece, by midnight."
"Midnight" Jacob nodded holding the car door open for her

"Young Harrison sends his regards" he smirked at the young girl, Gran tapping him, laughing from the backseat "he was going to come with us but he's feeling unwell, I think he got his hands on the dark ale." Jacob laughed driving along "this is Gran." He nodded behind him
"I know who you are...Mrs Evans it's a pleasure" she offered her hand "my grandfather was very fond of you, despite the family differences, he spoke of you often. Of your beauty. He said you used to friends once upon a time, close friends, a group of you."
"Did he now" Jacob tutted becoming visibly agitated
"Jacob. Leave it." Gran warned "I knew your grandfather before I was married to Jacob's Grandfather, Bert Evans. My father worked with his. He and Bert were good friends in their youth."
"Yeah your grandfather was a lovely man, a real gentleman." Jacob scoffed sarcastically
"Jacob. She is not her grandfather, in the same way that you are not your father."

"So" Yvonne cleared her throat "what am I doing here exactly? What is it you want?"
"Nothing. Just to wind your father up." Jacob went back to smirking
"I think you think me a foolish little girl that knows nothing of your world." She looked at him sideways "you want something from me. I will give it....within reason" she quickly added "for your help the other night with....the boats."
"I thought that was my favour to you. Or this a tit for tat situation now, I help you and you help me? We will be going around in circles, little miss" Jacob smiled "by the way, all cargo aboard the boat arrived safely in London."
"Thank you.....would you?" She looked back at Gran in the back seat "would you be willing to exchange another favour, mr Evans?"
"So we are in a tit for tat. Depends on the favour"
"Just...." she rummaged in her bag "one of your men, on the boats, if they could deliver this to this address on their next trip. By hand. I would be grateful"
"Not heard of the post lass?"
"It is not something to send by post and the address is to remain unspoken of and forgotten once delivered."
Jacob held out his hand taking the letter, placing it in his jacket pocket, from the feel and the weight of it he could tell it contained cash as well as a lengthy letter.

"Now. In exchange" Jacob began
"And here is the truth of the day. The real reason you ask for a sixteen year old girls company" she laughed along with Gran
"Alright you have me there. Although Harrison was keen to see you. He is only a year older than yourself."
"Send him my regards. He was pleasant company and a gentleman. Very charming."
"Was he now" Jacob tittered "your father fixes the boxing does he not?" The car remained quiet "your silence is an answer in itself"
"Then take it as one. I can deny spilling information if I have not actually opened my mouth to speak, sir"
"Smart girl" he nodded impressed "I want you to signal which match he is throwing tonight. I know he will have many men there watching us. You do not need to tell me who they are. I will be able to tell by the way they look at you." Silence remained "nod if you understand what I am asking of you"
She gave a light almost not there nod

"Jake he will know she has told you if you place a large bet. You are putting her in danger by doing so. I will not allow it after all she has done for you."
"I will place a large bet and lose. I know of another fixed match, I will place it on the sure loser. You know the boxers?" He asked
"Some"
"Then you will know who is a good safe bet. Do not worry Gran. It will not be obvious. He will be looking right when he should be looking left. Tap your foot on mine to signal me"
"I will adjust your tie sir" she smirked "like I say my father and his men are of aware of how you operate, they will see a foot tap and will be looking out for it. If I adjust your tie the one with a name alphabetically first will win, if I tuck my hair behind my ear he will loose."
"You are too smart for your own good" Jacob laughed, making her blush "good girl" he fondly rubbed her cheek lightly with the back of his finger.