9. All grown up

Jacob opened the door when there was a light persistent knocking at nearly midnight. He was hoping it was who he'd been waiting up for. He grinned wildly opening the door wider when he saw Yvonne standing shivering outside.
"You look frozen"
"Because I am" she laughed rubbing her arms. He chuckled back, adding some logs to the fire. "Thank you. Sorry. About earlier. I tried to come and warn you but..."
"I know. I understand. Throw them a little bone eh? Prove your loyalty and distract them."
"Exactly." She nodded "he already suspected and just asked me to double check. I have a connection who owns a race dog. I'm also good with numbers."

"So they're on to your brother then?"
Yvonne looked around nervously, the house seemed quiet
"They ain't here" he smirked at her "they're sound anyways. Live here with the three younger boys, Lenard, Barney and Harrison and our little sister Betty. Danny next door, with the mrs and two kids. Rachel and her husband live opposite, with their little one, six months next week he'll be." He nodded fetching two cups, pouring tea. "Your brother?"
"Yes and no. He suspects I know where he is. Or that I can tell....twin thing" they both chuckled, she glanced down seeing he was wearing her ring "I thought so" she smiled reaching for it "I could tell...plus Maggie told me in her letters." she giggled at him
"Did she now" he shook his head "so you write gran and not me eh little miss Evie. I see how it is."
"Never to the family address. She picked up my letters from the tea room I used to meet her at. Her only request. She knew writing to you would cause trouble if a letter were intercepted even if it was addressed to her, I agreed to send you one letter to let you know I was safe, she said you were quietly fretting under the surface."

"She knew you were leaving. Three years ago. Daft old bat. She asked you to come see me first didn't she." He shook his head, handing her a cup of tea. "You both had me fooled. She shouldn't have asked you to risk it. Not for me."
"She said you needed me but you just didn't realise yet that you did. I knew what she meant that night." She looked down shyly "I wish I could have stayed and helped you. Believe me. Your family has shown me more kindness than my own ever has. She offered me the opportunity to stay. Be one of you." She shook her head laughing awkwardly "she said Rachel's a good sister but she doesn't understand the connection of a twin. That you needed me."
"Your brothers still alive. I would never expect you to chose us over him. Like Gran said, I know that pain." He nodded slurping tea.

"Look at you eh. All grown up" he smiled taking in her appearance. "America looks good on you.....how long you here for?"
"I don't know" she sipped her tea politely "my brothers settled. I'm third wheeling most of the time. Cramping his style."
"You don't like it over there? Still lonely?"
"Yeah, still lonely. God love my brother I'd do anything for him." She smiled at the thought of him "happiest I've seen him. If he don't slow down he'll burn out before he reaches twenty one. He's enjoying the freedom a little too much if you ask me."
"He's freeloading then." Jacob poured another cup "you hungry?" He asked slicing some bread, plating up some bread and jam for her when she nodded. "So...I appreciate your token of friendship. I won't move on it until you leave or have been here long enough for it not to be obvious. You have my word."
"And just like that we're talking shop" she grinned biting her bread "I thought we were friends, Mr Evans. Not business partners." She teased, tapping him playfully with her foot

"I'd rather hear your personal news rather than your business news. Besides I already know how your businesses are doing. My father knows your every move."
"If that were true he'd be hammering at my door right now."
"He might know your every move but he doesn't know mine. The house is...nice" she looked around inquisitively
"It's a step up" he nodded in agreement "no lavish manor estate like yours. We don't got rats here or mould growing on the wall. So I'd say that's going up in the world. You?"
"Apartment in New York with my brother. Studying. Working. Socialising. More working to pay for my brothers excessive socialising habits."
"Busy girl.....nineteen now eh"
"Not a little girl anymore."
"Certainly not" he looked her over smiling to himself "still my little Evie."

"You happy, Evie?" He asked hesitantly "in America? You found peace from whatever you were running from darling?" 
"Not really" she scrunched her nose up, shaking her head "that's the problem with me. Not sure where I belong. Never have. Maggie told me that she already knew where I belonged and that I'd know when I know. Whatever that meant."
"Still not sure what half the old bat said meant" he smirked having been told similar. "If you should ever need it, Evie, Grans offer would stand. I'd take very good care of you, lass."
"It would start an even bigger war if they even knew I was here drinking tea with you tonight. Let alone.....anything else. You still have that same sadness behind those intimidating eyes, mr Evans" she reached for his cheek stroking it.

"What are these tears for, darling?" He asked wiping them away
"It's still there" she smiled, "Maggie said it was and you just didn't know it yet."
"What is?"
"What ever this thing is between us, mr Evans" she smiled sadly "it's an Evie and Jacob thing. According to Maggie. Something neither of us were ready for, she said we met too early."
"Yeah. It's an Evie and Jacob thing. Unexplainable. It's been three years. The little girl that left me after the first and last good night sleep I've had since returning from war is all grown up. She's still my little miss Evie. Your eyes are the same. I knew it was you as soon as I saw those eyes. I think of you every night, Evie. When I wake screaming. I imagine your voice in my head. Your calming touch, I don't know what you did to me that night little miss but...I've longed for for it every night since."
"I know" she nodded placing her palm on his, rubbing her ring
"You want it back?"
"No, keep it, you need it still." she laughed lightly "they're not expecting me back tonight. They think me at a friends. Catching up." She said nervously
"In that case..." he moved closer "you're mine for the night twin buddy" he threw her over his shoulder playfully. She squealed and laughed raucously as she was carried to his new room.

He placed her down, becoming nervous all of a sudden. "House is ours tonight, Evie. We won't be disturbed. I was expecting you. I mean hopeful you'd drop by."
"Were you now" she looked around the room seeing the photograph she'd sent him from America tucked into the frame of a small miror "risky" she raised her eyebrows at him "having a photo of a Barnes displayed in the room of an Evans."
"Worth the risk, I look at it every night in hopes it brings me a good night. You're my lucky charm remember. There's just something about you, miss Barnes, you got in my head and you won't leave it. Whatever this thing is between us, was left unfinished." he stood behind her, rubbing her arms "am I worth the risk, Evie?"
"I'm here aren't I"
"Stay with me tonight." He whispered in her ear "please. I want that feeling again, whatever it was."
She nodded shyly