7. sometimes friendships form in the most unlikely of places

Weeks went by and Jacob went about his business as usual. Weeks turned to months and he hadn't seen or heard from Yvonne since that evening, except the odd exchanged look when she was in the same place as her family. A smile or small unnoticeable wave exchanged between the pair and no more. so he was surprised when he was walking home in the rain one night and saw the figure of a slight girl standing outside his door.

"Can I help you miss?" He asked, seeing the eyes looking up at him he smiled recognising them instantly "miss Barnes. Surprised to see you. You know it's past curfew. How did you even manage....." he stopped, seeing the blood rolling from her hairline down her temple "come inside." He unlocked the door hurrying them in "you should have knocked, someone should be in." He looked around, seeing no one.
"I am sorry to bother you so late, sir"
"Let me have a look at you" he picked her up with little effort, taking her by surprise, placing her down on the kitchen table "let's get you cleaned up eh." He inspected her head. "What happened? Someone catch you my side? I have given instructions to not touch you. You give me his name and I'll see to it that he is punished."
"No" she hissed as he dabbed her wound "I fell....running." She looked away at her obvious lie
"Fell huh?" He raised an eyebrow, picking up her dainty hands to see faded bruising on her wrists and knuckles. "What to do with you little miss. You are a conundrum and a half. Did anyone see you come here?" He asked, receiving a shake of the head. "Good. Well it's too late to be sending you back now. You'll stay here the night. Then come morning we will review the situation and see how best to return you to where you belong."

"Jacob?" She asked softly "I did not know of my grandfather and what he did to Gran in their youth. I did not realise his speaking of her was a cruel form of gloating and torment. I thought it genuine. He even had a photograph of them, in his room. Of the two of them. Looking very happy together. I apologise."
"This what this is about? You get in an altercation over family secrets and truths?"
"I am going to see my brother. I leave tomorrow." She spoke quietly, looking down "I am taking him to America. It will be safer there and easier to hide him. However. It is further away. He is already too far from me. We share a strong bond. We are twins."
"I'm a twin myself" Jacob nodded "I understand the bond."
"He did not make it back, from my understanding. That must be very hard."

"how do you cope with it? The loss? Not seeing him?"
"Me? I was an identical. Only got to look in a mirror to see him. It's why I rarely do these days." He tittered uncomfortably. "So he's your twin. Didn't know Barnes had twins. Didn't know he a little lass either. Only daughters I know of are Diane and Caroline. Thought Earl Barnes was his youngest."
"Like I told you before, it's your biggest weakness, you don't know your enemy as well as he knows you."
"You gonna help me with that, little miss Evie?" He joked rinsing out his cloth.
"If you are trying to turn a Barnes against their father to join forces with the Evans clan, you are barking up the wrong tree. I am not that stupid and value breathing air" she joked back

"I thought we'd already joined forces you and I. We got a special alliance. We share a pretty big secret between us, actually two. You're the only Barnes that smiles at me rather than glares. Don't think I don't see that pretty little smile of yours when our paths cross. I look forward to seeing that sweet smile, brightens my day it does." He's smiled at her blushing cheeks "you're at my door. In my house. You trust me."
"Perhaps I shouldn't. Can I trust you, mr Evans?" She asked playfully
"Can I trust you miss Barnes is more like it."
She remained quiet for a while the pair just staring at each other "sometimes friendships form in the most unlikely of places mr Evans. Perhaps. Our friendship. Or whatever this is. Should be kept separate from Barnes and Evans business."
"Aye" he nodded, smiling wider "this....whatever this is, little miss. Perhaps should be a Jacob and Yvonne friendship. No last names. No business talk unless absolutely necessary."
"Agreed. However my friends call me Evie."
"Evie, like your Brother said" he nodded looking up at the door opening, Yvonne clutching to his arm worriedly.

She watched nervously as the family piled in.
"And where the hell have you lot been?" Jacob shook his head "it's alright, Evie. We all live here together. Trust me."
"I do"
"Yvonne dear." Gran hung her coat up "what are you doing here looking like a drowned rat at that. Oh my goodness me, give me that, Jacob." She slapped his hand away from her head "men, useless at the practical things, you remember that little miss."
"I will bare that in mind. It is nice to see you again, Mrs Evans."
"I told you before. Gran or Maggie will do. Just fine. You don't need to be formal in front of this lot. Now what happened here?"
"She fell...running....apparently" Jacob smirked, tapping Yvonne's chin playfully, putting the kettle on the stove, handing his gran a towel to wrap around a shivering Yvonne.

"Jake....you can't be serious" Danny whispered at his brother "they'll come looking for her! If they find her here..."
"No one is looking for me" Yvonne spoke up. "I have excellent hearing. I'm a Barnes, I've been raised to listen to everything....I'm my fathers ears, no one pays attention to the quiet girl in the corner, especially if my more intimating brothers and cousins are taking up space and their attention. just so you are aware, before you say something you shouldn't in front of me. Congratulations on your engagement, Mr Evans, I hear it will be a swift one." She tried not to smirk at Danny
"Still ballsy. Indeed he is marrying his Mrs next week before she starts showing." Jacob nudged his brother playfully "They think you left for America already I take it?" Jacob asked pouring tea, she nodded
"I had personal business to attend before I left. I made a detour."

"Personal business? On Evans soil?" Danny asked
"Yes"
"Leave it" Jacob demanded "go to bed, the lot of you. Harrison stop ogling the poor girl! Do not go wandering in the night either." The family laughed at the blushing seventeen year old "we're tight on space. You can take my...."
"The couch will do me nicely" she stopped him "no, there is no point in arguing with me over it. Something to sleep in would be appreciated, my cases are being delivered to the docks."
Jacob nodded, grabbing a clean shirt of his from a laundry pile along with a blanket, handing it to her.

The family went to bed, hushed conversations about their surprise guest were rife. Jacob lay awake unable to sleep thinking of the girl sleeping on his couch, still unsure of exactly how he'd gotten himself tangled up with a Barnes, however still grateful that she risked everything to save him, a stranger, her fathers enemy. Feeling protective over her for a reason he couldn't explain. She'd been on his mind constantly since they met. He felt himself drifting off to sleep until the all too familiar unwanted nightmares began to haunt him like they did every night. He thrashed around in his bed, waking, screaming blue murder. He clung to the body he presumed was his sister's, breathing heavily, sobbing as he always did when his brother slipped into his nightmares.

"Jake?" His sister asked befuddled, he looked up confused at his sister stood in the doorway, then at the body he was holding. Yvonne.
"Shit, sorry. Sorry. Shit" he scrambled away "I thought you was Rachel. What you doing in here?"
"You can go to bed. I have this" Yvonne spoke softly "get some rest. You look exhausted. Little ones been restless tonight." She said kindly, knowing the family were caring for their infant sister after their mother's recent death. Rachel looked at her brother, who after a moment gave her an unsure nod.

"What are you....look you're a nice lass and all but you're blooming sixteen! I am a grown man, Evie!"
"Shut up" she laughed, laying down in the bed, pulling the covers over them "well? You coming?"
"Seriously. I ain't touching a sixteen year old"
"Good. I'll chop it off if you do. I have a friend. Since childhood. He's a servant in our house now, returned to us after the war. Only thing that settles him is holding me tight, so he knows he's not alone. So he knows he is home and safe."

"I hardly know you."
"Call it a twin thing then." She shrugged getting comfortable. "It's what I'd do for my brother. Sometimes, since he left, when I can't sleep....I make my way to the servant rooms and I pretend my friend is him. We are usually inseparable, it has been very hard since he has not been here. Will you pretend to be my Marcus tonight? Please" she asked in a quiet whisper he almost missed, she sniffled lightly, trying not to.
"Are those crocodile tears again?" He asked hesitantly shifting to lay next to her, soon realising they weren't "come here" he sighed, laying back so she could roll into him "whatever it is you are running from, Evie.....you're safe with me. You'll always be safe with me, my little Evie. Shush. Hush now. No more tears. I'll be your surrogate twin for the night if you'll be mine, although you are far prettier than my brother." They both laughed lightly "this stays between us."
"I'm sworn to secrecy. You are safe with me, Jacob. Sleep you're safe now, you're home and I am here. Your unlikely friend who understands your pain and loss."