16. Prove my loyalty

Jacob pulled the car over at a spot Yvonne asked him to, looking around cautiously. Feeling jittery in Barnes territory despite the promise of another truce tonight.
"You're safe with me, Jacob, I'll protect you." she smiled across at him. "There's someone I want you to meet."
"Alright" he nodded, grabbing her arm softly before she got out "I'm sorry. For what I said. For loosing my temper. For what my sister said, You're no Barnes whore. She shouldn't have said that. What else did she say to you?"
"It doesn't matter. She's protecting her brother, her family. I understand. Still stings." She nodded at him "I'm sorry about earlier....with that women. Jealousy and insecurity got the better of me."
"I understand. I promise, little darling. Only you. Don't say you know a man's need" he laughed, pulling her gently towards him to kiss her softly "I'm sorry I snapped at you. I was worked up. I....loose control, since coming back from war."
"I know, Maggie told me. Besides I am used to it" she blushed "small fry, Jacob. I've been called far worse in my lifetime and been shouted at much louder with out a war troubled mind as an explanation."

"it's secluded here." Jacob whispered
"Seriously!"
"No, I meant, do you wanna show me, before we go...wherever." He looked around again, she didn't respond so he moved his hands down, carefully unbuttoning and moving his grans old homemade dress she was wearing, knowing his sister would have offered her the most ugly of dresses to prove a point. He moved the fabric to the side, gently skimming his fingertips over her bruised breast, shaking his head angrily "I'm sorry. This shouldn't have happened."
"And this isn't how you should be first seeing what I have to offer. I thought you were a gentleman, mr Evans" she kissed his forehead, moving her dress back to cover herself over.
"I am, When it comes to you. Never been a gentleman for no one else." He smiled, rubbing her face with the back of his fingers "perfectly happy with what you got to offer, little darling." He buttoned the dress back up "even if you are wearing my Grans old dress and bloomers. Besides, I've a had a few peaks, you do sleep on my shirts wrapped in my arms, Evie, I'm a man, of course I'm gonna look!" He chuckled

"you ready to break rules with me?" She smirked at him, clutching his hand as they walked down a long gravel path leading to a grand looking house.
"We've broken a lot already." He smiled at her, tossing his spent cigarette "where are we? One of your dads places?"
"No. Just happens to be on his side of the river, he doesn't own this land. They pay him for protection, that's all. He doesn't give them the choice. He doesn't know I come here. Like I say we're breaking rules. If he ever found out....." she looked down trailing off, Jacob squeezing her hand in understanding
"Still ballsy, my little miss Evie" he kissed her temple "how hostile?" He looked around, taking his pistol out.
"Guns and weapons at the door. Even me" she pushed the gate open "trust me. You want me to prove to you...."
"Rachel said those things not me, my little darling. I am sorry again about the Barnes comment, you know I see you as just my little Evie. I just don't take orders well, army thing....war thing."

"Let me prove to you that you mr Jacob Evans have my heart.....and loyalty. If you want it, Jacob, all you have to do is ask me to stay." She stopped short of the front door, holding his jacket in both her hands, running her hands up to his neck, tip toeing to kiss his lips.
"Not sure we should be doing this here, little darling. Too dangerous and I want to keep you safe. We can't be seen together." He rubbed her cold cheeks with his thumbs
"Let me prove it, Jacob. Beyond doubt that I am genuine in my feelings for you. I'm going to share my secrets with you. You already know some. I don't want this life, Jacob." She shook her head sadly, a tear rolling down her cheek. "After tonight.....his demands will only become greater, when Clarke takes over he'll.....I'm all yours, Jacob Evans. We just need a plan. That's all. I'm prepared to fight the war if you are."
"I am" he smiled kissing her softly "You sure we should be seen together here, little darling?"
"It will be fine"

Jacob placed his weapons in a locked box with Yvonne's, following her down a marble corridor and up a large staircase. He looked around confused, the grand house that it was from the outside was a lot more clinical inside, he soon realised why.