14. A Barnes does not fail

Jacob nervously prepared the black swan for the business deal, feeling uneasy. Trying to think of all possibilities. All the things that could go wrong and how he could react quickly enough to step in and not blow their cover if he did. Still trying to think of ways to get Yvonne out of this thing completely. He checked his gun and pocket knife for the tenth time that evening when the arranged time approached.

"You sure about this?" Lenard asked, pouring him a whiskey
"If I'm honest. No." He necked the strong liquid
"Bea's here" Lenard nodded at a women walking in
"Out back. Quick, you're late" Jacob took hold of her arm putting her in a store room "you wait in here until I get you. Not a sound. Understood. Half Payment in advance." He threw some rolled up notes in her lap.
"You want something while you're waiting Jake, we've not seen you in a while, on the house. For old times sake. You seem stressed, you know I know how to fix that for you, Jake." she knelt down smiling up at him, her hands grabbing his waist and belt.

Jacob turned his head when he heard his brother clear his throat, a wide smirk on his face. Jacob shoving the girls hands off him when he saw Yvonne stood next to his brother, looking more dressed up than usual, she looked stunning, sophisticated, but unimpressed.
"Miss Barnes" he greeted, clearing his throat
"Mr Evans" she retaliated with annoyance laced in her voice
"This way" he held his arm in the direction of the private room out back. Yvonne's heels clicked on the hard floor as she walked past the store room, glancing at the girl sat there looking smugly back at her.

"I'll be just outside the door at all times, Evie. Unless you want me in here."
"Barnes business, mr Evans. You know my name use it." She said coldly pulling her silk gloves off one finger at a time
"Ev....miss Barnes....Yvonne you don't have to go through with this. I'll think of something."
"For your whore" she placed some clothes that matched her own in front of him
"She's not my..."
"You seemed well aquatinted, sir. It's not my business how you alleviate your stress. Last I checked whores don't offer services for free. I'll have a bee's knees if your bartender can manage it if not a gin. Put these on ice" she handed him two expensive bottles of champagne.

"Yes ma'am" he snapped back annoyed, he went to leave swiftly turning back to her "I wouldn't have....you walked in at the wrong time is all."
"I'm sure I did." She arranged her papers, removing her fur trimmed coat. Jacobs eyes widening "something I can help you with, mr Evans?"
"you look..." he walked back over to her running his hand on her exposed back, tracing her spine with his finger tip "little darling you look beautiful, so grown up, you look stunning. I can't believe a woman like you, is my girl. A beauty of class and sophistication. I'm a lucky man....I love you." he whispered in her ear.
"We don't have long" she ignored his affectionate actions and words.

"Put these on" Jacob threw the dress into the store cupboard, stomping to the bar "Lenard! What the fuck is a bee's knees and how the hell do I make one?" He asked picking up random bottles
"Beats me. I got spirits, lager or ale. Few bottles of wine down there. Oo fancy brother" he inspected the champagne bottles "these cost a pretty penny, Jake. Us usually only get this stuff if a crate falls of the back of a lorry."
"I bet. Barnes showing off. Making sure I know whose in charge tonight. Reminding me of my status compared to his, of how deep his pockets go. That dress she's wearing must have cost more than a Bob or two and she brought one for Bea to wear as well, like it was a worthless old rag. Chill the bottles. Make sure no one drinks them. Sorry miss Barnes best I can do" he poured gin and cordial into a glass, holding it up to inspect it.
"She ain't for likes of us, Jacob." Danny shook his head. "You know that right? She's out of your league. Majorly out of your league. Women like that don't go for men like us, other than wanting to sample a little bit of rough before they settle down or they got bored of their stiff husbands. She'll never choose this life."
"Just do what we agreed." Jacob stomped back off