52. Time to find some peace

Six months after his twins were born, Jacob found himself sitting late one night contemplating something he thought he never would in any serious capacity. A close call earlier that day had him spooked. Yvonne came bundling into the black swan with the younger children, Jacob instantly knowing something was very wrong. A suspicion confirmed when he saw the blood on her hands and dress, Maggie clinging to to him sobbing her little heart out about a bad man.

"I'm sorry, Jacob." He was startled out of his deep thoughts by his wife's quiet and timid apology, his eyes looking up at her
"No need, my little darling. I'm proud of you. Join me." He shuffled over to make room for her "Maggie didn't see you use the knife on him. His bodies in the river of sin. They can't trace it back to you. Me and the boys took care of it."
"They nearly took the boys! I turned my back for second, Jacob, I swear!"
"I know, with Maggie, Paul and the twins. You got your hands full, Evie. You're not an octopus!"
"Do we know who they were yet?"
"Distant Barnes relations" Jacob mumbled out "an estranged part of the family."
"Right, I should have known. He cut them off over a dispute, over Emmett's girl. Only time I've seen Emmett show any feelings of love for a girl and she stepped out on him with one of them. Father disowned them. Took everything. Last I heard they were mostly in prison for armed robbery, a job gone wrong. They must have got out."
"That's what we've heard." Jacob nodded rubbing her cheek softly "not your fault, little darling. Presumably after whatever's left. Take the boys for ransom or an exchange."

"I have had threats of late, a sharp increase the last few days. From others." Jacob mumbled out nervously "people still ain't happy I've got kids with Barnes blood or that I married a Barnes. Lost some business because of it."
"We knew that would happen......Jacob, say it." Yvonne demanded softly "I can read you like a book so just say it out loud."
"I think.....perhaps it's time to get out. Like truly and completely out." Jacob sighed "I feel like a hypocrite for saying it. My brothers have children! I never contemplated getting out for them!"
"Because our kids are for the main part protected by the Evans name" Lenard came to join them. Of course there's always been a risk, Jake. We know that. But yours and Evie's kids, they have an actual live target on their heads, from both sides....as does Evie. This side don't trust her, over the river sees her as a traitor or still believe she's a Barnes and responsible for hardships they've faced from her family, same this side, many have lost a loved one at the hands of a Barnes. There is bad blood over the wealth difference. She comes from money, not that you'd know it. I mean that in the best possible way, Evie."
"I take it as a compliment" she smiled at a worried looking Lenard who cracked a smile back, relieved he hadn't offended her.
"I know what you mean, brother. We knew it wouldn't be easy." Jacob nodded "however, now I got my boys, Maggie.....I can't stop thinking about that night I had to hand my Maggie over to Howard to save Evie, not knowing if I'd ever see her again, or if she'd even make it to her second birthday. Yes I know little darling you still ain't forgiven me, I know." He laughed with her, giving her a little kiss. "I almost lost them. Sullivan with a grenade held against my little girls back....the things he did to Evie." He took her hand kissing it "I'm not sure I'm willing to risk going through that again."

"So....what do you want to do?" Lenard asked genuinely "go legit?"
"Maybe"
"You know your past won't let you." Yvonne pointed out, fiddling with Jacob's hair to keep him calm "like you say there's bad blood on both sides. They won't drop debts they think they're owed or stop seeking revenge just because you go straight. You know that deep down, Jacob."
"Yeah I do" he rubbed his head "maybe we should just disappear. Do a midnight flit."
"Do a runner?" Lenard asked shocked "Evans don't run! Besides what you going to do? Take your Mrs and kids and leave your family behind to face the consequences!"
"He wouldn't leave you behind Lenard. Do not fret. You've lost enough already. When he says we, he is including you and Paul, always."
"Sorry. I....I know I'm dependent and attached to you both. It's pathetic."
"It's not at all." Evie sat forward offering him a comforting hand "I made her a promise to help raise him and to look after you too, Lenard, as did, Jake."
"You did?"
"Yeah brother, course I did." Jacob sniggered "you and Paul are my family. You're part of this home, this small fraction of the family now includes you and your boy. Of course I ain't upping and leaving you! Silly fool" he tutted playfully, Lenard blushing