32. Don't make me promises you can't keep

Danny ran through the cobbled streets bursting into the black swan when his wife had frantically screamed her way into the Evan's offices. Declaring that Betty and Rachel were missing. Rachel's two children set upon by wild dogs, only saved by the local Bobby who'd scooped them up calling for help.

"Jacob!" Danny screeched his way through the pub "where is he? Jacob!"
"Out back" a dock worker pointed "trouble?"
"Lock the damn doors! Any armed man that stands with Jacob put your ales down and ready for a fight!" He declared
"Danny what's wrong?" Lenard rushed out "Jacob's in a meeting. It seems to be going well. We might have a way in to the Gemini club at last."
"It's a god damn distraction is what it is" Danny burst through the door shooting the two men Jacob was talking to.
"Danny! What the fuck!" Jacob shot out of his chair "I was about to secure...."
"They're Sullivan's men, he's on to us." Danny panted out "Rachel and Betty were snatched, Rach's two littlens were nearly mauled by rabid dogs, set on them on purpose. A Bobby bought them to Stanley. They're safe just scared witless. Dogs had Gemini symbols on their collars, Jacob. Stanley came straight to mine to warn me. There were two men in a car watching my house, watching my kids playing outside! I got rid of them."
"Damn it!" Jacob threw his glass at the wall, gripping his hair "any witnesses? Anything? Sightings?"
"No" Danny shook his head "little Paddy said he heard them say that you were being distracted but they didn't have long. He's smart for his age. He picked up the baby and ran. That's when they set the dogs on him. Thank god the local Bobby was just around the corner on his beat."

"We move, now." Jacob declared, readying himself. "We don't have the element of surprise so let's just hit him with everything we've got."
"Jacob!" Harrison ran in "Clarke Barnes was found hanging naked from a tree on his estate, gemini symbol carved in his chest. They said he'd been mutilated! He burnt the whole estate down with everyone in it. Every man, woman and child. Barnes and staff! Sealed the doors and windows shut so they couldn't get out. Scorched the Gemini symbol on the front lawn. They said Clarke had been tortured for days if not weeks. He'd been bloody castrated! They found his balls stuffed inside is mouth!" Harrison rambled out "detective Brent just told me to warn you that Sullivan's Barnes business is concluded and to expect...."
"Too late" Danny sighed "he's got Rachel and Betty. Nearly got her kids, were watching mine. He's made his move early. Something must have happened, Jacob. You think he found out she's been in contact? That Howard bought Maggie to meet you the other month? I didn't see this coming, not yet. She was singing at the club last night, she didn't give our men any kind of signal."
"That's why he's done it. Because no one will have expected it." Jacob shook his head "we go now, hit every single asset he has. If they don't hand them over, burn them to the ground so he can't do business here anymore, understood. Each of you boys lead your men in battle. Post men and guards at all our properties, orders shoot to kill. You leave Sullivan to me. He's mine, understood! Any of you find him before me you bring him back here alive! I'm going after him. Going to get my girls back, I ain't waiting no longer."

"You can't go in to Gemini alone, Jacob. You won't make it through the front door, you don't know if..."
"Oh I know" Jacob scoffed "the arrogant son of bitch won't hide. He's too bold and arrogant."
"Jacob, think about it. You can't get them out alone. Let's hit him where it hurts then go for the girls. Together."
"Do you know?" Lenard burst in "I take it that is a yes. Here. From Sullivan. Left it with one of uncle Gile's girls. She delivered it to my place. I've put my mrs with yours Danny. Safety in numbers. She's armed. I've sent four men to guard them."
Jacob took the letter, reading it over as he paced back and forth.

"Well?" Harrison asked eagerly "he offering a deal?"
"No" Jacob balled his fist thumping the wall repeatedly "fucking bastard. Screw the plan. We got to get the girls. We go after his business when they're safe."
"He's forcing you to change your plan. Make rash decisions. That's when mistakes are made, Jake! You're walking straight into a trap!" Danny advised
"He's going to kill my daughter" Jacob leant on the table "kill Rachel. Take Betty and Evie back to America. You don't want to know what for. He's not offering a deal. No deal. No mercy. Only revenge. That's all he wants."
"Then we take every man we got and go get them or at least take The Gemini club." Harrison stood up, nodding "let's rain hell fire down on him boys. Evans style."

"Betty and Maggie are priority" Jacob screwed his face up, not wanting to say it "if it comes down to a choice, my Evie would want it that way. She already tried to get my daughter out without her once, we won't get another chance, it's now or never. So.....if we can the girls out, my smart girl knows I'll come for them, she may try to get the little ones to us, so stay vigilant, look out for places she might hide them away, I don't give a fuck what Rachel wants."
"She'd want that too, Jacob." Danny sighed "we'll get them all back." He patted his brothers back.
"Don't make me promises you can't keep brother, if I loose Maggie after having her in my arms and handing her back...."
"It was a tough choice, Jake. As a father I know what that took. You and I both know he would have come after her to get her back. Come on, let's go. We will get all four of them back, Jake. We're the Evans boys, he don't know who he's dealing with, he's underestimated us, so let's use that to our advantage. Boys any of you see the little ones, grab um and get the hell out, don't wait for us. Like Jake said, Evie will try and get them out so look for clues, places she might hide them. Listen for Jake's whistle, Betty knows it, if she hears us she might try and get our attention."
"Evie knows it too" Jacob nodded, gripping every weapon he had hidden
"course she does, she's your girl ain't she. Never taught no other girl your secret whistle eh Jake."
"No, just my Evie. Im coming, little darling, hang on, I'm coming for you."